22 weeks no eggs!

I have 5 pullets that will turn 23 weeks old in a few days. Only one (a RIR) is laying yet, and she only started a week ago, after looking "ready" for WEEKS. Two of the others, a Delaware and a Speckled Sussex, look very close. The other two, an Easter Egger and a Salmon Faverolles, still have some obvious maturing to do, but I expected that based on their breeds. Normally, my spring pullets start laying a bit earlier than this; I don't know if part of the reason might be the extreme heat we've suffered all summer here (and are still dealing with).

I have 5 pullets that will turn 23 weeks old in a few days. Only one (a RIR) is laying yet, and she only started a week ago, after looking "ready" for WEEKS. Two of the others, a Delaware and a Speckled Sussex, look very close. The other two, an Easter Egger and a Salmon Faverolles, still have some obvious maturing to do, but I expected that based on their breeds. Normally, my spring pullets start laying a bit earlier than this; I don't know if part of the reason might be the extreme heat we've suffered all summer here (and are still dealing with).
My Delaware has been red in the face for over a month, she's 21 weeks and started laying a few days ago. I do know that Delaware's can lay later at 6 months. Her eggs are like a light creamy brown color. We went from 2 eggs to 4 just last week because once the barred rock started laying the Delaware decided she needed to as well.

I thought I would update on the egg situation. Still no eggs. My Olive egger is very red and did a little 1 second squat. My lavender orphington also increased in redness, no squating. Beaker the sultan no clue she she will lay, she has no visible comb and just walks in circles shaking her poof on top of her head and naps in the shade. Lastly bunny the splash amauracana not as red as the other girls but sings non stop since she realized she could and screams to be let out when she is locked up. When she is out she follows me around the yard to be picked up or taps on the patio door to see if someone will give her treats. I'm guessing I will see my first egg from this group late next week but who knows chickens can surprise us all.

one they shouldn't be on 2 different feeds like that.
two I see a few that are late layers not the 4-6 month ones more like 8-9 month ones like the Ameracuana, and mixed breeds can go either wa and not familiar with the sultan breed.
Three you cannot hurry laying up but they should not have layer feed at all until they are laying, remember even pullets from same hatch and breed can vary.

Back
Top Bottom