22 wk old hens, haven’t laid eggs yet but making “nests” in coop

CzchMate

Chirping
Jun 30, 2022
Hi all, this is my first flock and I’ve been loving every minute! Of course, still waiting for the big moment for one of the ladies to lay their first egg.... they are now 22 weeks and I’ve noticed that they have been going into their coop and pulling the material from the nesting boxes, along WITH the wooden eggs, then settling there. It’s primarily my buff orp but then the EE and OE get so curious, they both watch from the doorway or the perch- it’s hysterical! Is this normal, is she getting ready to lay her first egg, or is she just becoming mother hen to the wooden eggs??? Either way, there’s a whole lot of squawking taking place! Appreciate any insight.

I have young ladies doing the same. My older girls exhibited the same behavior not long before they first started laying. I'm excited for you to get your first egg!
Thank you! It’s really reassuring to know that yours exhibited the same behavior before they started laying, and also very encouraging!!! Something to look forward to!

Well, you are close, but until you are completely hopeless, and have come to grips with the fact that somehow, you got the only chickens in the world that do not lay eggs, have had serious talks about being invited to dinner, and asking if they like bathing with noodles..well then they lay!

I am to the part about giving a bath in the crockpot speech. LAY DAMN it!

It is not unusual for pullets about to lay to look for a good place to make a nest, often a week or so in advance. That's why the nests need to be open before they start to lay, so they will at least consider laying in the nests when they start. Not all pullets do that but it is a pretty good sign you'll probably see an egg pretty soon.

Part of that search involves scratching. Since they are removing the bedding and fake eggs you might want to raise the lip on the nest a few inches to make it harder to scratch out the bedding, fake eggs, and real eggs when those show up. That's another reason to have the nests open early, so if they are scratching out the stuff you can fix it before real eggs get involved.

Sounds like everything is going great. Let us know when you get that first egg.

All of you were right! We were closer than I could have imagined... our OE laid this beauty today, and it was NOT the buff orp who I thought would be first!

Attachments

• 9A358D5B-563B-414B-B035-071AB36884C8.jpeg
    9A358D5B-563B-414B-B035-071AB36884C8.jpeg
    364.3 KB · Views: 4
  • 6A23E618-024C-4532-B93A-D218127A733C.jpeg
    6A23E618-024C-4532-B93A-D218127A733C.jpeg
    711.8 KB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom