23-24 Day Hatching

Barb Root Hinkkanen

Songster
6 Years
Aug 19, 2017
Mississippi Gulf Coast
After two disappointing hatched, I decided to try again. My dear neighbor gave me six Ayam Cemani eggs. Two were not viable. The other four did nothing but I was not going to give up on them. Day 21-nothing. Day 22-nothing. I candled them and all looked okay. Day 23-a pip and a chick. Later that night another egg had pipped, and another. Day 24-they were trying to get out but seemed dry. Humidity was correct.

I decided to assist. I helped remove part if the shell on one...it popped right out. I removed just a bit, like zipping on the second egg. It worked it’s way out. The third egg appeared to have a pip. I’m not sure if it pipped or the little chick knocked it into another egg. There was no sound or movement. It was dead. Fully formed, not too dry, just not breathing. It almost filled the egg: could it have been too big?
The other three seem perfectly fine. Chirping, eating, drinking, and sleeping. They are so tiny and cute.

I don’t know if this matters, but the one that didn’t make it had a lot of white on it: both legs and feet, both wings, and head. It was more than just a bit so maybe it wasn’t pure as it was supposed to be. Could that be a factor?

in any case I’m so pleased with the three new chirpies ❤️.

Back
Top Bottom