23 Weeks and Still Waiting...

Pullets that mature in the fall do take longer to start laying. Impatient, first time owners tend to start them on layer feed too soon, and delay the onset of lay even longer. Some mistakenly believe that layer feed has a magic ingredient that will 'make' them lay. The reality is that it's called layer feed because it's for actively laying birds only. Maturing pullets need the higher protein of starter or grower to develop. Layer should not be fed until everyone in the flock is laying.
I'm glad you validate what I thought. You are so right, been told Layer will get them laying!

The lady I got them from fed Layer with Oyster Shells on the side, told me to continue with since they will be laying soon. I did (she's been raising for longer than I have) but I did FF. After reading ALOT, decided to stop the Layer and put them on Flock Raiser, leaving the Oyster Shells on the side along with the grit. Should I stop the Oyster Shells too?

I'm not in a rush, just want them healthy & happy! That's why BYC is so such a great site, so full of information! Thank you junebugggena I feel better, was wondering if I maybe wrong by putting them on Flock Raiser.

ChickNanny: I adore this sight, I've been lurking for forever.

Junebuggena: Boy are they going to be mad when they realize they have to stay in the run for a bit. But I don't want to take the chance they're laying in a leaf pile 5 feet beyond the tree line. Just need to get around to putting the netting over the run so the Zazu and Garcia don't go over the run. Zazu our campine likes to perch on the coop roof and the house roof and Garcia can clear the six foot fence just to stand on the other side and encourage the others to try. She does this on days I don't let them out before 9 am, what can I say they're spoiled little cretins.

Thanks a ton for all the help and encouragement!!

I'm glad you validate what I thought. You are so right, been told Layer will get them laying!

The lady I got them from fed Layer with Oyster Shells on the side, told me to continue with since they will be laying soon. I did (she's been raising for longer than I have) but I did FF. After reading ALOT, decided to stop the Layer and put them on Flock Raiser, leaving the Oyster Shells on the side along with the grit. Should I stop the Oyster Shells too?

I'm not in a rush, just want them healthy & happy! That's why BYC is so such a great site, so full of information! Thank you junebugggena I feel better, was wondering if I maybe wrong by putting them on Flock Raiser.
They do need a source of calcium once they start laying, so keeping oyster shell out for the is a good thing.

It happened!!!! Our Golden Campine beat out all the others to lay a pretty white egg. The other two in the nest are the training eggs.

So the lady who is laying is my Gold Campine, I'm sure because she's the only one that could lay a white egg. Wouldn't the Wellsummers and Australorp start laying before her?

My flock are 23 weeks old today and I got the first egg today too - from an Easter egger. I knew she was going to be first...my rooster is only interested in her! I have two EE, two BOs (I suspect they will be next) and a GLW.

Little green egg in the dirt. Now I have to train her to get it in the right place! It was almost frozen by the time I found it.

Last edited:
Oh mine are only on grower feed too - no layer because of the rooster. I'll put out oyster shell for them now but this first egg has a nice firm shell
1f44d-1f3fb.png

Back
Top Bottom