$239 with delivery for an assemble your own coop

How many indoor SQ Ft is that... chickens need 3-4 sq ft indoor space each & 4-5 sq ft run space each --ccording too rasiaing chickens for dummies.... : )

It seems like a pretty good deal if you're not the type to try to build one yourself. Very small but also very attractive. Go for it.

That's a cute little coop!

I would do a couple of things -- but I am like that. I would change the chicken wire for hardware cloth. And I would insulate it.

One more thing -- because of the way the bottom opens, which is slick for cleaning, unless you are using the deep litter method -- I would enclose the bottom as part of a run which would make it secure against predators. If that bottom is not secure it would be very easy for a predator to wiggle a few inches opena dn snatch your hens.

But those are all really easy modifications. I think it's cute.

Jenny

Like so many other things, the answer to your question is "it depends".

How many chickens do you plan on keeping?? Based on the dimensions of that coop it has less than 11 square feet or so, which means it might fit 2 hens. But since there appear to be no external nest boxes, that tells me your floor space inside will be further restricted by the nest boxes.

I question their claim that this coop will fit "3-4 regular sized chickens or 6-8 bantams". Using the design guidelines here at BYC, four chickens would each require a minimum of 4 square feet of space in the coop , and that means the inside dimensions would have to be at least 4 feet by 4 feet (16 square feet total). This coop's outside dimensions are 45 inches by 29 inches.

Are you going to free range your chooks or do you need a covered run and a permanent installation??

What are the dimensions of those windows and do they provide all the ventilation you really need??

What does the inside look like?? That tongue and groove siding looks great, but is it also providing a myriad of cracks for roost mites to hide in??

Speaking of roosts, what does the roost look like??

How will you anchor the coop to keep it from blowing over in a strong wind, or being knocked over by a large dog or other hungry pred??

When you pull that pan out of the bottom, what is above it to keep the chooks in the coop??

I know that's a lot of questions, but they are things to consider before you settle on a prefab coop like this. It does look very nice and well made, but is it practical for what you need?? Will it really fit as many chickens as you want or need to raise??

hmm.png

Last edited:
It looks good but you could probably build one cheaper and it looks a little small... Could probably be used for a couple birds but not more than that I think.

My two cents. I always take a measuring tape to get an idea of the actual size in ordering things. (It's amazing how small that garden statue is when you hold up a tape). As for this coop, I don't expect it to hold more than 2 hens in the winter. If where you live is somewhere they can't go out year round. If you need to keep it in the garage are they going to be able to get out to stretch their legs in the winter in Chicago?
For me personally and I'm in NY, I could use it for a broody hen hutch, as it wouldn't need to be used all the time. Or it could be used for a quarantine hutch or chickens hospital. Wouldn't that be cute, you could paint it white with a red cross sign.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom