-23C. Put on heat lamp?

It’s -23C tonight. My coop is not insulated. It is well vented, and has lots of wood chips and straw. Should I put the heat lamp on? I’m nervous about it being a fire hazard, but am equally nervous about it being too cold for my birds...
alternatives to heat lamp:
1) make sure there are no drafts. Very strong gusty winds can create drafts in normally not drafty coop.
2) feed them corn before sleep for extra energy
we only have had -10C nights so far but with nasty winds, everybody is fine

alternatives to heat lamp:
1) make sure there are no drafts. Very strong gusty winds can create drafts in normally not drafty coop.
2) feed them corn before sleep for extra energy
we only have had -10C nights so far but with nasty winds, everybody is fine

I did do this last night, picked up some cracked corn at the mill a little while ago in anticipation of cold temps.

I did buy an acurite wireless thermometer, the sensor hangs up near where they roost. The overnight temps got down to -5°F, with wicked winds giving us a wind chill of -20°F. The coop stayed around 20°F with no heat- just their body heat. The coop is vented well, and slightly insulated.
that's a pretty big difference. how many birds do you have and how big is your coop (or do you have your coop page)?

Yea I put a digital accurate thermometer in my coop as well..it was 11* outside, it was 11* inside the coop.
No difference in coop temp, the coop in not insulated but well built 10X5, with generous retaliation but zero draft
Run sides are all covered in 12 mil. plastic.

Extreme cold temperatures will rarely reach below 0 Fahrenheit in my coop.
Coldest I've recorded was -9F, about the same as -23 Celsius.

My coop is well ventilated and draft free.
My birds are cold hardy and healthy.

That said, I have never added additional heat to the coop,

only to the nest boxes:
Heat the nesting boxes to stop eggs from freezing

and to the water supply:
Forever Water Heater one that lasts.

Back
Top Bottom