1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

24/7 light bulb in coop (what if?)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by joebryant, Nov 2, 2008.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

What would happen with the chickens if I put a low-wattage light in the coop and left it on 24 hours everyday. Would they continue to lay, go to roost at a normal time, sleep normally, etc. ?
    Note: They have a very large window that they can look out from their roost to see whether or not it's day or night outside.

2. zatsdeb

zatsdeb Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2007
    Lincoln, Illinois
    I am not sure about how low wattage would keep them laying, I know if they don't get to rest in the winter time and slow down their egg production it will shorten their lives, and the years of laying eggs. it is hard on them to lay year round.
    I did read about putting lights on a timer to give them more daylight hours, and having it go off at night.

3. Chicabee19

Chicabee19 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    n/a
    Dunno [​IMG]

Someone who had lights on at night said her chickens were annoyed and irritable.

4. chickiebaby

chickiebaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 2, 2008
    western mass
    Considering this is one of the best ways to torture humans, I don't know how they'd go for it. . . think it might drive them mad?

5. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    I have heard mixed things about this.... Some do it and say its great !! I know my husbands mother did it years ago b/c she said it "tricked" the hens to lay more !! But they do need a break to be healthy!!! I wouldn't do it.... only b/c it can make them cranky and they could also start to peck, if you want a little light in the coop you could add a red light or red heat light (that would give them a little but the red doesnt screw them up as much) chickens do like the dark and I would think that would screw up there night time plans.

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Every living creature, human or otherwise, needs periods of dark and light.
    If having year round high production of eggs is real important to you, add the light. Just keep in mind that your hens will "burn out" faster and you'll be replacing them sooner.

7. Poulets De Cajun

Poulets De Cajun Overrun With Chickens

14 hours is the max you want to go before you start stressing them out.

Now if its a heat lamp for one or two nights when its extremely cold, thats one thing, but a constant light 24/7 isn't healthy for them at all.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I leave a Red 11 watt sign light bulb on 24/7. They still go into their coop in the evening like clockwork. Once in awhile I go out early am and check on my girls and they are snoozing away on their roost. They all lay most every day.

9. jasonak

jasonak Out Of The Brooder

May 17, 2008
    wasilla,AK
    Is there a reason your leaving the light on 24 hours? You can get a timer fairly cheap.

10. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

We have a light that goes on at 4 am and then anther one at 6 pm, and they are not laying any better than if we didnt have the lights. at first they did, but now???? 3 eggs a day max and we have 6 laying hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by