24 weeks old, and no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Melissa82, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Melissa82

Melissa82 New Egg

May 19, 2008
    Hi, we have been waiting and waiting for our first eggs, and still nothing. We live in Southern California, so it's not like it's cold or anything, and in fact had been in the 80's lately!
    I have easter eggers, silver laced wayandotes, an australorp and a bantam millie fluer.
    Our bantam was giving an egg almost every day durring september and into october, and hasn't laid any since october...
    We feed a mix of sratch and layer pellets and give them treats of veggies. They have water. They do go out into the yard a couple times a week, but, I always check the bushes and there's no eggs being laid in the yard.
    Any ideas? Or do they just need more time?

2. Comet Mum

Comet Mum Out Of The Brooder

Oct 29, 2008
    Oxford, NC
    Ugh, it is hard to wait, isn't it? My pullets were acquired at ~ 24 weeks and didn't lay until 30 weeks. So, some just take longer... I am certainly not an expert, but I'd also suggest that layer pellets be the predominant feed, with scratch and veggies as limited supplements. The pellets are a complete feed and higher in protein/calcium, which are important for egg laying.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

You know--it look my brahmas almost EIGHT months until they laid?? My orps started a few weeks ago and they were hatched in June. My Faverolles started first. And I still have not gotten any sumatra eggs. They were hatched in June, as well. Are you sure you do not have an egg eater in the bunch?

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I would take all the scratch away until after they begin to lay..

make sure they always have water available..

many chickens take 26 or more weeks ..

hang an ax in the coop and let them overhear you talking about
    getting rid of all the freeloaders.. [​IMG]

5. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Quote:[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by