1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

24 weeks old and still no eggs??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Gardeningmama, Oct 1, 2012.

1. Gardeningmama

Gardeningmama Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 24 week old flock of different breeds. 2 SLW, 1 Australorp, 1 EE, 2 Brahma, 1 Silkie Mix, all pullets, 1 Mixed Roo, 1 Ameraucana Roo. Not one hen is laying yet. They free range, coop at night, and are on SS Layer and Breeder. I thought they were possibly laying in the bushes, so locked them in the coop for 3 days, and still not one egg. Any ideas, or is this normal? My RIR's started laying at 18 wks, but are from a different flock.

2. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

Are they squatting, have red combs? Any signs of laying? Are you certain of their sex and age?

3. Gardeningmama

The Australorp, 1 of the Brahmas, and 1 SLW all have blood red combs and waddles, and have for 2-3 weeks now. I have heard the Australorp "singing", but with no results. Not sure I know what you mean about the squatting? I'm positive about the age.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  4. MamaRudey

MamaRudey Chillin' With My Peeps

Well hopefully soon then if they're practicing. My neighbor has Australorps and the didn't start laying till over 6 months old...

5. Gardeningmama

Ugh!!! Of all of my chickens, that flock eats the most, by far. They better start earning their keep soon, LOL! I keep saying it'll be worth the wait, but the wait just keeps getting longer and longer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by