24wk old EE's will not use the nest box

sellersgang

In the Brooder
11 Years
Aug 21, 2008
Cleveland, MS
We have 5 EE's that just turned 24 wks old and all but one have started laying. As soon as we found the first egg on the floor we put a nest box in the coop layered with straw. 2 hrs later all of the straw was out of the coop in the run. So I then put pine shavings in there with a golf ball. Since then they scratched the shavings out of the box but left the golf ball alone. A week later they are STILL laying on the floor so today i put more shavings in the box and replaced the golf ball. I went to look for another ball to put in the box and was gone all of 5 minutes. When I returned, someone had slung the golf ball to the other end of the coop that fast! HELP... how do i get them in the nest box??????? They have the coop and run all to themselves. We purchased them from Ideal back in September.

WOW no responses
sad.png
where are all the experts today???

What if you got something a little more sturdy and nest-like? Like the nests in the boxes that the chickies come in, something woven that they can't kick out. Oh! Like a grapevine wreath from the craft store?

At least yours are laying, my EEs are 27 weeks, but no eggs yet. Hopefully when it warms up later this week.....

Hmmmm.. a grapevine wreath.. thats something to think about! I went back out today and the 2 golf balls have been sent out of the coop this time to the far end of the run.. I think now they are really playing golf in there or pitch and catch or something.. they do not like those balls in their coop. lol

Could you post some pictures of your nest boxes? I have one golf ball in each of my nest boxes. All of my girls lay in them. There are pictures on my BYC Page.

My nest box is a plastic milk crate hung sideways on the wall. Dont have a pic tho. We have the same thing in one other coop and they have no prob using them.

Back
Top Bottom