26 weeks old and not laying

isabellapalomino

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 2, 2011
My new chicks are 26 weeks old and still not laying, should i be worried? there are 3 speckled sussex, 4 easter eggers, a couple half easter egger half something else, and 3 pearl white leghorns. the 3 leghorns have been laying eggs for weeks, pretty much everyday. One of the easter eggers goes into the nest box everyday and looks like she's seriously trying to lay an egg, she even pants. Is there something wrong with them? they seem healthy.

I also have an EE and Speckled Sussex that are now 28 weeks old. My EE actually started laying today, but noting from the Sussex yet. From what I've read on this site, both tend to lay on the later side and can start anytime from 20 weeks to ???

There was a noticeable change in the size and color of the EE's comb and wattles over the last few weeks. I don't recall her squatting, but I added golf balls to the next boxes last week to help point her in the right direction. The SS's wattles and comb also seem to be getting more red recently, so I guess it's back to the waiting game ;)

Hope that helps.

Back
Top Bottom