27 weeks and no eggs from Black Astralorp....

Hello Everyone:
One of my silverlace Wyndotts finally laid her first egg today. She is still small compared to my BAs which leads me to believe she maybe a bantam, her egg was a medium size egg, but small compared to the BAs.

No egg yet but had her squatting for over 4 minutes lol
lau.gif
... CubCadetGuy, thats how my Astralorp is, she's so tiny it's hard to believe she's getting ready to lay... I doubt she's a bantam (not even sure if there are bantam Astralorps).

We think we got an egg from our little girl but we aren't sure yet... The egg was light brown pointy, and bigger then our buff orpingtons which small, cream, and pointy... but smaller then our sex link which are large, dark brown, and pointy... And we dont think it was our barred rock cause her eggs have a pink tint and are more blunt! And we know its not an welsummer egg... Sooo well have to see tomorriw

Interesting! I bet you're right about the new egg being hers. Seems like all my "first eggs" were pointy.

Three of mine lay eggs that are about the same size (med-large) and the Columbian Wyandotte (who was first to lay) lays a small-medium egg so far. Her eggs have really thick shells and it takes forever to crack them!
smile.png

Last year my only Black Australorp was the last to start laying eggs--she was 28 weeks. Th other 4 I have are Dominiques. Between her and the Dom's, the BA eggs ae always large and a beautiful shad of brown.

We are pretty sure she laid today! From about 10 am to 1 she was in and out of the nesting box! We assume the small point egg is hers... we found it outside on the GROUND!!!!
th.gif
I wonder why she decided to lay in out in the cold and not in the nesting box... She even made a little nest in the one corner of the coop! Maybe she thought she was going to poo and to her surprise an egg came out!

The egg in the middle of your picture looks like the eggs my Australorps lay. I have two of them and one is much larger than the other, too. Great personalities, very friendly. Consistent egg layers.

I love the gradient of color in your eggs!
smile.png
I agree with the previous poster that your middle egg looks a lot like my BA's egg (which is also a bit pointy).

3/4 of my hens laid their first egg or two outside the nest box...on the floor of the run or under the roost area. After a few tries, they got it right.

Back
Top Bottom