27 weeks no eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Poultrybonkers, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    My wyandottes barely have combs either. They dont even look full size. Got them april 15 of this year. They get fed dumor layer
    [​IMG]

2. KYTinpusher

KYTinpusher Master Enabler

Sep 3, 2011
    Northern KY
    Pullets that mature in the fall to winter usually take a few months longer to start laying than pullets that mature in the spring and summer. This is the time of year when the days are getting shorter and chickens are gearing up for winter, which means winding down in laying. It may take them another month or two to start. You may be able to speed that up a little by putting supplemental light in their coop. Many people string Christmas lights in the coop on a timer.

3. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Maturation is also influenced by the feed they are given. I switched to an all-flock feed (Purina Flock Raiser, 20% protein) and noticed that my spring-hatched chicks mature sooner and come into lay sooner - usually by 25/26 weeks. The ALBC recommends a higher protein feed for heritage breeds so they grow to their full potential.

Layer feeds (typically 16% protein) were originally formulated for the higher-production breeds, like leghorns and egg-laying hydrids, who are typically smaller birds and use feed very efficiently.

Many folks don't switch to a layer feed until their pullets are actually laying. This gives the pullets a longer period of time on a higher-protein grower or finisher feed (or an all-flock feed).

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  4. clucklady

clucklady Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2015
    A few MONTHS? [​IMG]

Mine are 25 weeks and not giving up a thing. Boo.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    I agree with all the above. Additionally, Layer feed (4%) calcium is too high for birds not building egg shells. It may be ok for a few weeks but let's say you began the layer at 18 weeks, that means they've been getting excess calcium for 10 weeks. The fact that their combs are still small indicates it will be several weeks yet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by