28 days and counting...

redkan

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
Central Maine
I have 2 free range chickens that went broody on me, one disappearing into the hay loft and the other one somewhere, I think under a pile of brush I was going to burn. They both "disappeared" over 4 weeks ago. Hayloft hen shows up regularly for food, drink & dust bath; brushpile hen has shown a few times, the last time over 2 weeks ago, and then disappears again. Hayloft is a bantam and an experienced mother (although not a very good one) but Brushpile is an EE and has never done this before. I'm worried about going in and disturbing their nests only to loose the chicks (Hayloft abandoned her nest the last time I disturbed her) in case the first week or so was just their laying phase. On the other hand, 28+ days is too long so maybe I have nothing to loose. Heck, at this point I'm not even sure Brushpile is in there or alive which would upset me as she's one of my favorites (real name is Wolfie based on the way she looked as a young chick).

Ideas? Suggestions?

Oh trust me, I've gone over to the brush pile, gotten down on my hands & knees trying to peer in to see what I could see. Hayloft chicken has been followed (stealthily) so that I know exactly where in all those 500+ bales she's sitting.

Back
Top Bottom