28 Weeks....no eggs

dixietuffchicken

Hatching
10 Years
Aug 1, 2009
Is that still possible?

We have two that are 27-28 weeks and nada! We bought them from a source, that we now question, which told us they were 4 months old (they looked full grown at that time but have grown slightly) when we purchased them. That was almost 3 months ago. They are ameraucanas. One is black and the other tan. This is our first time raising chickens so we are at a loss. We have 12 other chickens...RIRs and BOs (5 of which have turned out to be Roos..we are going to cull them). They live in a luxurious copp and very large run my husband built. I have checked all over, and nada.

Any thoughts?

The average age they begin to lay is 24 weeks, so your aren't all that off.

this time of year, they often will not start until the following spring if they hit maturity during the time of year with less daylight hours.

Don't worry, though...it's really better if they don't start until they are older. There are MUCH fewer incidences of prolapse, internal laying, and hernia in pullets that begin to lay when they are older.

one of my Isa Brown's just started laying on Thursday, she was born in April and I was worried too. My Black Star who had been molting had not laid in about three months and the Isa Brown got up in the nesting box with Black Star and they hawed and hemmed and I had two eggs. Now if Isa Brown's sister who is the same age would hurry up and lay her first egg!
smile.png

Hang in there and give them a few more weeks. I'm new at this too and felt the same way. We got one of our girls the end of March (the other 2 we got then turned out to be roos and we had to find them a new home) and then we got two more girls about 2 weeks later. Any way they didn't start laying until Oct. (not sure if it was one laying or two but it was the RIR's) and finally our Easter Egg chicken just started laying last Mon. to be eggact
big_smile.png
So maybe your's will start soon....don't trade them in just yet.

Back
Top Bottom