2month old Pekin trouble walking

Stacywilk

Hatching
May 27, 2020
Hello all! I raise chickens and this year added 2 beautiful pekins to the mix! I’m still learning so much about Pekin ducks and need advice!!!

One duck, Orangey, seems to be weak in the legs. As a duckling she was the first one to swim fast, climb everything, jump, super active! Now she seems to be having the hardest time walking. She will still stand tall and fluff her wings but she hobbles every time she starts to walk. I have been giving her Brewers Yeast for almost 2 weeks now. She seemed like she was getting better and then all of a sudden it is back. She seems to lay down a lot too so when she gets back up it takes her a while to hobble without having to use her wing as a brace. When I hold her she doesn’t seem to but when I feel her leg.

I appreciate any advice. What can I do to help her?

:welcome Sounds to me like a niacin deficiency. And the best treatment once they are showing signs is the Durvet liquid B complex found at TSC or other feed stores.
Brewers yeast and Nutritional yeast are great as a preventive but once showing symptoms we bring out the big guns and it is amazing how quickly they can recover. Please post pictures of your ducklings when you can we love baby pictures https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

:welcome Sounds to me like a niacin deficiency. And the best treatment once they are showing signs is the Durvet liquid B complex found at TSC or other feed stores.
Brewers yeast and Nutritional yeast are great as a preventive but once showing symptoms we bring out the big guns and it is amazing how quickly they can recover. Please post pictures of your ducklings when you can we love baby pictures https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/

I'm having the same issue with my 2 month old Pekin boy. Is it okay to give him the Durvet Vitamin B Complex Oral Gel rather than the liquid? I don't think I'm up for administering the liquid through injection like the product recommends. Seems the oral gel could provide the same benefits. What do you think?

I'm having the same issue with my 2 month old Pekin boy. Is it okay to give him the Durvet Vitamin B Complex Oral Gel rather than the liquid? I don't think I'm up for administering the liquid through injection like the product recommends. Seems the oral gel could provide the same benefits. What do you think?

While the intended way is to give by injection, we give it orally, or over treats, and it has been proven to work well.

Back
Top Bottom