2nd chicken killed. WHAT IS IT?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by gunnarwordon, Oct 16, 2012.

1. gunnarwordon

gunnarwordon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Chatham, New York.
    So, I live in an urban area. Surrounded by houses, never any signs of predators. But then about a month ago, a hawk out of nowhere swooped down and ripped my favorite little ohikis head off. And then this morning I went out and I was looking for my favorite cochin, Thumb. I looked in his cage and his body was there, with the head PULLED OFF on the ground and feathers everywhere. What can it be? Not a hawk right? And if so, can I kill it with a pellet gun?

2. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    Hi, I don't think you can kill hawks, someone else will respond that knows more than me but sorry about your birds :(

3. Chick_In_The_Burbs

Chick_In_The_Burbs Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Western Washington
    Depends on he state but a LOT of hawk breeds are protected. Here in Colorado it is defiantly not worth it to take a shot at one. I put really high walls on one of my runs and the other will be getting a netting-roof soon.

Good luck protecting the rest. :/. Sorry you have to deal with this.

4. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    All hawks and owls are protected and it is federal law, so it applies to all states.

Hawk got one, but the other was probably a raccoon or a dog, if the bird was in a cage and the head pulled through the wire.

I suggest that you work at providing some more secure pens. You now know that you've got critters in your area who have discovered your free chicken dinner.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by