2nd coop

squirtsmomma

Songster
5 Years
Aug 15, 2015
Southeast Kansas
Started a second coop as a grow out pen for new chicks say 4 weeks to about 10-12. Looking for suggestions on similar builds. This one being built out of a trampoline frame. I framed in the front. I have an old aluminum storm door for that. Going to put tin on the bottom in front yet with hardware cloth on the top half in front instead of the 2x4 wire. Hardware cloth opening on the back top for ventilation, have to add an overhang for rain in back and something over the door in front I think.
I have hardware cloth sticking out past the edges, but I may sink rebar too against predators since this coop isn't moving. It's built inside a 20×20 chain link "kennel" with 6 ft sides and hot wire around the top.
Still have to add roosting bars and hanging waterer and feeders inside. I have a box fan for hanging from the ceiling in summer, a light too.
What am I forgetting? My first coop was built around a steel bunkbed frame. Much more secure. This one is much larger, but worries me.
20210414_170709.jpg

I see your coop as quite secure with the 2 x 4 Wire on top. The lower portion with HC, is secure also.
My question is,,,,, What predators are you concerned with???
All the common ones, would not be able to enter. (raccoon, opossum, coyote, fox, bobcat, and cats, and dogs)
If you have Mink, weasels, and large snakes to deal with,,,, then Yes the 2 x 4 wire should be backed up with HC.
Consider a 2 foot apron around perimeter if you think the perimeter chain-link run would be breached.
Consider movable roosts, and not very high, (3 feet) and have them away from the exterior wall, so nothing can reach in and grab chickens. Easy to make just like sawhorses. Easy to remove for cleaning as well. Multiple ones also prevent chicken squabbles as well. You can figure the best configuration once everything is in operation, and your chickens are grown.
I have other thoughts and Ideas, also, but it is easier for you to ask what you need to get clarified.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:

I see your coop as quite secure with the 2 x 4 Wire on top. The lower portion with HC, is secure also.
My question is,,,,, What predators are you concerned with???
All the common ones, would not be able to enter. (raccoon, opossum, coyote, fox, bobcat, and cats, and dogs)
If you have Mink, weasels, and large snakes to deal with,,,, then Yes the 2 x 4 wire should be backed up with HC.
Consider a 2 foot apron around perimeter if you think the perimeter chain-link run would be breached.
Consider movable roosts, and not very high, (3 feet) and have them away from the exterior wall, so nothing can reach in and grab chickens. Easy to make just like sawhorses. Easy to remove for cleaning as well. Multiple ones also prevent chicken squabbles as well. You can figure the best configuration once everything is in operation, and your chickens are grown.
I have other thoughts and Ideas, also, but it is easier for you to ask what you need to get clarified.

WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :highfive:
Raccoon, skunk, possum, fox, coyote, cat, dog, bobcat would be the big ones for overnight. Snakes can be an issue. I use snake away and set some 2 liter bottle traps with eggs in them. We have a couple crows that hang around during the day, seems to have stopped the hawks from coming in close, but I bought some deer netting I may run over the top to discourage. I have a brahma rooster in the adjacent pen, and the crows don't mess with him. I was going to put the roosts in from front to back but after your comment I think along the back would be best. I've had success with the flashing red light keeping some animals out of the large bird pen at night, might add 1 of those. We finished all tin work, secured the door. I have hardware cloth around the sides on the ground out about a foot. I was thinking about larger flat rocks along the front rather than wire, or wire underneath with the rocks on top. I have access to quite a few. I still have to attach my tarps to the front. They stay rolled up unless we have bad weather forecast, then I drop them and secure them. Last year I wired off an area in the other pen, planted corn and my birds were able to hide out in that during the day. I had to remove all corn though, baby and such to not attract raccoons. I prob won't do that again. I have a pallet I'm making a short shelter out of so they can get out of the sun if they want. Have you ever heard of flying strings of garage sale flags to deter animals.

Have you ever heard of flying strings of garage sale flags to deter animals.
No, never came across that, but it may work. Mainly against flying raptors. I read of peeps using fishing line stretched, and hanging CD,s . There is also a company that sells these kites that are attached to a long pole. It is claimed to deter hawks. I also read comments that it scares the chickens on the ground as well.

Back
Top Bottom