2nd day with new chicks, lots of ?s

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by chickcrazy, Mar 21, 2007.

1. chickcrazy

chickcrazy New Egg

Mar 19, 2007
    Hi everybody.. Ive gotten so much info from this msg board allready.. thanks for that! We got our 27 baby chicks from McMurry Hatchery. Picked em up Mon morn from PO. I just want assurance that we are doing everything right..My husband made them a nice brooding box..probably 4x4ish we put aspen bedding down..the temp we try to keep around 95.. but it varies ..they are in our closed off utility room. I was told from the hatchery to put 2T karo syrup in a gallon of water.. But how long should I keep that up? they are eating dumor chick starter/grower 20%..I think that one is on his way out...[​IMG] I guess its somewhat normal to lose a couple? He is breathing very eratically, like struggling.. i put him in a seperate smaller box..(the one they came in) and that is making me paranoid about the others now.. is it normal for them to sleep on their side? Do you think it is a problem with their food or water? ok i guess thats enough ?s for now..
    thanks in advance,
    1st timer

2. renae

renae Out Of The Brooder

Mar 21, 2007
    as far as laying on their side i have older hens that sleep on their side but only a couple of them i myself have never seen a baby chick lie on their side to sleep my experience has been with smaller numbers so i cant offer alot of advice for raising larger numbers at one time although i will be doing that soon.are you sure the temp is ok do they all huddle together or are they kind of spread out sometimes the temperature can cause different behavoir and even death.make sure they have water all the time but not deep enough fro them to drown in .and if they get into the water they may be getting too cold.i bought a waterer that was pretty small but it allowed for them to get water but not for them to sit inside of it thus preventing them from becoming chilled.my brooder box is pretty simple i bought it from walmart it just a rubbermaid box and the lid folds in half this way i can have half the brooder completly closed and the other half halfway open for the heatlight.this way it keep the heat in and there is room for the light at he top of the box if temps drop a bit i can close the other half of the top so it lies over the heat lamp.
    it is normal to lose a few chicks when they are shipped its sad but thats what happens during shipping with stress and everything.thats why i always buy from my feed store or i find a hatchery here in florida to buy from.i dont mind the drive as long as it snsures they are healthy and all live.dont know if any of that helped but im sure if it didnt someone else will have something to add

3. fowlweatherfriends

fowlweatherfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2007
    The Sunny South
    I have 2 day old chicks and some 5 day old chicks. Several of mine will stretch out a leg or two and then sleep on their side. I have found that when they do this they have just tuckered themselves out doing baby chick stuff, and that they seem to be really relaxed.

4. chickcrazy

chickcrazy New Egg

Mar 19, 2007
    im glad to hear they sleep on their sides normally.. I think the others are fine.. they are a trip to watch .. I love when they fall asleep standing up! too cute. they are curious little critters.. peckin at everything.
    we bought a waterer..dont think they could drown in it ..has very small 'trench' type drinking area.. holds a quart of water. the temp is about 90 now.. what exactly is the right temp? and how in the world can you keep it regulated.. it fluxuates so much..

5. keljonma

keljonma Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    8A East Texas

Last edited: Jul 25, 2011
  6. chickcrazy

chickcrazy New Egg

Mar 19, 2007
    Great info thanks...the marbles will not fit.. tried.. the trench is to narrow.. We had the light (250w) at about 18 in" but thought it was too hot.. it is now a little higher and is 90 degrees under it. should i lower it again? they seem happy now. not clumped together anywhere..
    So i can stop the karo.. this is good... the lady on the phone at hatchery asked if i had any gatorade... i bought some ..but its flavored etc... is that the norm? seems weird to me. i dont have vitamins for the water.. should i go get some.. or give plain water..?
    the sick one is in a small box(same one they arrived in) and the box is inside the brooder box.. i didnt want him to get cold .. the others are curious about the box.. they keep peckin it like crazy.. one jumped/flew into the box.. checked it out the jumped/flew back out.. was checkin on his sick brother i guess.

7. chickenranchwife

chickenranchwife Chillin' With My Peeps

chickcrazy,
    I just got my chicks in on Saturday and I didn't realize they slept on their sides either. They are so much fun to watch. A gal that I have been in contact with told me to put apple cider vinegar 1/4 teaspoon per quart every week to help clean them out. She also told me brown sugar water was good for the first few days. Good luck with the little one in the box and enjoy them all.

8. mainely-chick

mainely-chick Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2007
    Maine
    chickcrazy - I got my peeps last week and thought the same thing when they flopped over on their side -almost dead looking ?? They are just sleeping - all are fine.
    I also had one that was lacking behind - I brought her to water and food - did the best I could, but she died - it just happens despite what you do
    I stopped the sugar water after third day.
    As far as the heat - I have a therm attached to a block of wood so I can regulate the temp exactly at their back level. I've found that they find their own comfort level though - under the lamp, around the rim, clumped together, along the walls etc - just make sure they have enough room to find their zone.

Good Luck

9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

As long as the chicks are eating, drinking, and sleeping in a big mat of fluff they will be fine. I've had some chicks nearly roll onto their backs to sleep, it is hilarious! Enjoy your birds now. Personally I have never given them any special drinks and they have done fine. Flavored gatorade will work fine, they might even like it more than regular water.

10. TheBigWRanch

TheBigWRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2007
    Wenatchee, Washington
    You can also buy unflavored Pedialyte. I use Avia Charge 2000 in the water.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by