2nd floor nesting boxes and hatching chicks...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Justjered, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Justjered

Justjered Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2016
    Galesburg, Illinois
    We are looking to get a handful of silkie hatching eggs and having our broody hen incubate them.

My concern is once they are hatched, our nesting boxes are on the 2nd level of our coop and the access involves climbing a ladder ramp. Can the chicks figure this out with the hens help or will I need to relocate/put a nesting box on the bottom level?

Our hens have no issues climbing the ramps but not sure if new chicks will be able to do it? Also, if it stays on the 2nd level, so I need to put a board to block the chicks from falling (about a 2-2.5 foot drop to the floor.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Once the chicks have hatched, you can move momma and chicks to ground level of the coop.

3. Justjered

Justjered Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2016
    Galesburg, Illinois
    By relocating a nesting box for them I assume?

4. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    A nesting box maybe fine. My mother hens have never used them - I'm not sure why, but they seem to prefer the ground. Possibly an area that has some bedding would suffice. A pet crate can provide a good source of refuge for the chicks, and give them access to food and water. I have used these in the past, and leave the door open for momma to come and go with the chicks, as she pleases. I have never lost a chick to other flock members doing it that way. I'm sure that there are alternatives.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by