2nd Floor?

Burban89

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 10, 2008
Port Clinton, Oh
My coop is a 6'x8', with a flat slope roof that goes in height from 8' to 6'. I have been thinking of putting a 2nd floor in it. The 2nd floor would work out to about 6'x4', with a ramp/ladder to the ground floor.

The idea is to have more room for the girls. With the possibility of using the 2nd floor as a brooder or quarantine area if needed.

Has anyone done this or see a problem with doing it?

The only problem I could see is that the other chickhens in the neighborhood might think your chickhens are gettin a little "uppity".
big_smile.png

Quote:
lol.png

If you could see the monstrously of chicken wire, 2x4s and blue tarps a few doors down. The neighborhood chickens probability think mine are already "uppity".
lol.png

Quote:
Hello,and Welcome.
I think it will work great, only thing I will not use it for quarantine, incase other birds are sik.
But otherwise it is great room for broody.

Omran

Funny that you mention it, When I moved to my current location the shed I turned into a chicken coop (now have a new coop) was a garden shed that had a storage unit/shelf in it. It was simply a piece of plywood that covered about 1/3 of the floor space of the coop and was approximated 5 feet off the ground. I placed an old ladder up against it thinking just as you are, more space for the chickens. Well in reality it turned into a flat roosting spot. I did provide roosts under the shelf but chickens prefer to go as high as they can and they definately liked this shelf. They generally only ventrued up their to roost at night and the problem with that was is that the poop collected on the shelf. It was hard to clean and the girls became diry after a while as they slept in their own poop. I did try pine shavings on the shelf but that only solved the cleanliness issue for a while.
I ended up removing it because of the cleaning issues and wanted my chickens to be "clean".
So the idea is a good one for additional space but give it some thought on the issues I had with mine.
I think it could be a great spot for a broody hen and chicks, this would not require a lot of cleaning.

Mine was, it was five feet high and about 6-7 feet long. So I had to try to stand on a ladder and rake, scrap and scrub the poop off the board. There was only three feet from the board to the ceiling so climbing up onto the board was difficult as well. It just became such a pain in the you know what that I finally removed it.
I removed the ladder to the shelf but that did not stop most of my hens they simply flew up there.

Back
Top Bottom