2nd generation, do I need new rooster?

makybe

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Canberra, Australia
Might be a silly question, but if I have hens by one rooster and add them to the breeding flock, do I need a new rooster?
Is there such a thing as incest in chicken breeding?

Actually, you could likely go many generations using the same rooster. Line breeding indeed. However, if this rooster isn't all that, doesn't throw great offspring, you'd need to swap him out ASAP, or at least I would. If he does throw some great looking/producing hens, keep him. But, cull, cull, cull the duds. This is what has to be done. Hope that helps.

We had a GREAT looking Speckled Sussex roo, I mean a looker. Unfortunately, he never passed that on to offspring. All them were quite poor examples and weak layers. It happens. Had to make a change. Conversely, we have an older Barred Rock roo who just flat throws great chicks. We'll miss him when he's gone.

Linebreeding chickens is ok. And it is the only way to inprove desired traits in chickens. but there is one thing to remember when doing this you are increasing the traits of the bird used the most. This is good if the bird that is used over each hatch makes good chicks,but if he has bad falts -this form of breeding will almost always make more of the same,so for example if you breed father to daughters you are increasing the fathers traights by 3/4 %.So I would make sure that he was a real good male bird.I linebreed all of my chickens for show,and I dont change this up untill I get weak babbys or no fertility. I bred barred rock bantams to the same cock for 7 or 8 years with no problems. hope this heps you!

The above is good; I'd suggest you get a book on linebreeding/inbreeding if interested.

However, if your cock and hen turned out quality chicks then you can keep those two together for the next 4 or 5 years; thus, in all that time all you've turned out is one generation just over 5 years.

Each year keep the best pullets and only the best.

In the 6th year its time to get a new cock.

Thankyou everyone, that info is most helpful.

big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom