2nd Guessing Splash Jersey Giant Sex

New pictures:
Saddle Feathers with POINTS and bending down the rear of the chicken

Has had this comb since about 2 weeks but (s)he's getting over a respiratory infection so it turned pinkish

His/her Blue Jersey Giant hatch mate that I believe to be a true pullet
(notice the saddle feathers are rounded ). The Blue JG is plumper but the Splash JG is taller.

New pictures: Saddle Feathers with POINTS and bending down the rear of the chicken Has had this comb since about 2 weeks but (s)he's getting over a respiratory infection so it turned pinkish His/her Blue Jersey Giant hatch mate that I believe to be a true pullet (notice the saddle feathers are rounded ). The Blue JG is plumper but the Splash JG is taller.
I'm going to stick with my first response and still say boy. As I stated before they take awhile to start looking male. My gut is now almost 2 and he is huge. Love him:love

Last edited:
That is 100% a girl. No way is it a boy at 4.5 months or rather 18 weeks.

Boys at 18 weeks:

Does not matter the breed, the feathers say girl. Unless you are completely off in age, at 18 weeks there is no way that is a boy.

I am normally good at sexing my chickens and spotting roosters, this one just takes me for a loop. I misquoted myself about the age. I just checked the hatch calendar and the JG's are between 13-14 weeks old, not 18 weeks like i stated earlier. Not sure if that 4-5 weeks matters. oops.

I am normally good at sexing my chickens and spotting roosters, this one just takes me for a loop. I misquoted myself about the age. I just checked the hatch calendar and the JG's are between 13-14 weeks old, not 18 weeks like i stated earlier. Not sure if that 4-5 weeks matters. oops.
Yes it matters :) Because hackle/saddle feathers aren't apparent until around week 13.

You want to see shiny feathers. I haven't seen a rooster without sheen to his saddles!

What did it turn out to be? I have a splash JG the same age and in the same quandary as to rooster or hen. Seemed like a hen for all this time and now suddenly looks more like a rooster.

He turned out to be a very nice looking Rooster. Took almost a year for him to start crowing and even now he does not have that prominent of a comb. I did notice his spurs started to grow more than the hens at about 10 months. He was about 4 inches taller than the confirmed hen when I sold him but still had not put much weight on. When they say Mature slowly they arent kidding.

Back
Top Bottom