2nd HUGE egg in two days

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jdoane, Feb 6, 2014.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    One of my new layers (started laying 3-4 weeks ago) has laid an absolutely monster egg two days in a row. It's easily 3 oz. Yesterday I didn't worry about it. I know she's still working the kinks out of her system. But today I'm a little concerned. Should I be worried about two huge eggs in a row? I had kind of assumed that she would either skip today or lay a very small egg today. She's a hatchery Barred Rock if that matters.

2. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I wouldn't worry, but do keep an eye on her. One of my sex links laid really large eggs when she started laying. Over 3 oz. each. I was amazed how such a small bird could lay such large eggs. She only laid 2 really large eggs, and few larger than normal, and then normal sized eggs.
    [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    You are lucky! :)

4. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    Thanks. Anything particular I should keep an eye on. Is it just risk of vent prolapse that I need to be concerned about. I hope she gets this worked out. The first huge one was kind of cool but I don't want her to get hurt!!!

5. lularat

lularat Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2013
    NC
    I really don't think you have anything to worry about. Young pullets just starting to lay will sometimes lay very large eggs and double yoke eggs. Just their bodies getting used to producing eggs. But I do understand your concern. I felt sorry for my girl after she laid those huge eggs. It certainly bothered me more than it did her. I think a prolapse is unlikely, but is always a concern. Just check her vent after she lays her monster eggs to put your mind at ease. :)

6. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I wouldn't worry, I've had a young hen lay an egg that was 4.1 oz. I posted a pic of the egg with a slice of cheese on it and called it a quarter pounder with cheese! [​IMG]

7. SelfMadeFarming

SelfMadeFarming Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2013
    Like the others said, I wouldn't be too concerned
    I have a fairly new layer and the past 2 days the eggs were twice the size the normally are.
    Although I don't know if they are coming from the same layer or not, since I didn't catch her in the act.
    I was actually pretty proud!
    :eek:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by