1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2wk Partridge Rock chick unable to walk

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by BlazeJester, Aug 16, 2011.

1. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    I have a 2wk-old partridge plymouth rock chick that is unable to walk. She is the only chick exhibiting these symptoms (I have 8). Yesterday I noticed her acting strangely, with her toes all bunched together and pointing forward; she walks on her hocks when she has to and this morning seems unable to stand on her feet at all. When I picked her up and set her back down, she wobbled and fell to a lying position. She then crawled over to the feeder and started eating; I'm not sure if she'll be able to reach the waterer, but the other chicks will poop in it and get even more sawdust than usual if I put it on the floor.

Should I isolate this chick for special treatment, or perhaps along with her other PR sister? This condition came about very suddenly and I'm wondering if this could be coccidia. There is no blood in any of the droppings, but I read that some cocci infections do not cause bloody stool. I'm hesitant to remove her since the other chicks seem to be looking out for her, lying around her to keep her warm and are not picking on her at all, and I have experienced that isolation causes more distress than help (though this was for a chick that was attacked, not sick).

I have the chicks in an XL plastic dog crate with 3" sawdust. I will be changing out the sawdust this afternoon. I clean the waterer every day. I left for 36hrs and had a friend looking after the chicks and she didn't notice anything wrong with them. When I got home they had knocked over the feeder and were scratching the feed out of the litter (I use medicated feed) - could this have caused coccidosis? I guess I will go to the feed store this afternoon and pick up a coccidia treatment - are these all meant to be added to the water?

Any other suggestions for what this might be are much appreciated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by