2x2 construction or 2x4 construction??

What is used for studs in the coop walls depends on what kind of roof needs to be held up...
..and what that roof has to hold up, like feet of snow.

But I go back to Generally Accepted Construction Principles and think 2x4 (at least) and not 2x2. (I seem to remember a story about 3 little piggies building houses and a big bad wolf huffing and puffing...;))

I think that's the thing, people seem to accept that 2x4's are the way to go because they are the standard for construction.

But when I think about that, I take into perspective that those building standards are designed for houses and other large structures, such that they will last 100+ years, hold up to earthquakes and hurricanes (hopefully!), be able to have 2-3 stories or even more, withstand the weight of parties of 50 or more people, provide lots of empty space for insulation/electrical/sound be idiot-proof against Joe homeowner who decides they need to cut one or two of those 2x4's for a home reno, etc, etc.

None of which I care about when building a shed or a chicken coop :)

The best reasons I have seen here to avoid 2x2's for a small project are that they might split easily with screws/nails (haven't had that happen to me, I usually pre-drill and use screws), and that they might be hard to find straight ones, which I would assume really depends on the local supply.

and that they might be hard to find straight ones, which I would assume really depends on the local supply.
This for sure. The only '2x2's I found worth using were quality 2x4's ripped down the middle.
Used to have a great local lumber guy who could provide both quality lumber and the sawing.

I haven't read through this entire thread but one thing I would say is that the 4x2 are generally worthwhile timber to build with - where the 2 x 2 that I got delivered was super warped (they looked more like chip sticks! Maybe it's different in the UK). If you aren't in the UK please ignore this

2x2? Where do you get those? They are way too small.

If it's a small coup and you need to stick to a budget than you can use 2x3s. Home Depot has them for around $1.75 each. Personally I won't
use anything smaller than 2x4s/ You can get them for around $2.25 each.

Most premade sheds from Home Depot are 2x3 construction. They try and
save every penny.
ha! fast forward to 2021 when 2x4s are going for $10 per 8ft. I'm also looking into building the run with 2x2s or 2x3s to make it less pricey.

Back
Top Bottom