2x4 for roost?

ra

Songster
11 Years
Jan 18, 2009
Arkansas
is a 2x4 ok for a roost? it will be on the 2 inch side for them to roost on. just not sure if thats to big or not for some chickens. also much roost room do u need for 5-8 chickens?

thanks for any help.

ryan

My hens have always had 2 X 2's for roosts and do fine... especially here in HOT Phoenix.

The folks that say you should have them on the 4" side usually live in cooler climates where the 4" side allows them to sit on their feet.

thanks for the info.are summers are pretty warm but the winters can get into the teens and a little lower some times. i am going to try and figure it out tomarrow with what way to put them in there the best. summer it would be nice to have them up but winter would be nice to have them down for them. dam chickens are driving me nuts

thanks again
ryan

I use 2x4s such that they are roosting on the 3.5" side. A lot of times the 2x2 have very sharp corner edges, and therefore need to be rounded down a bit with a chisel and hammer, or a wood planer, before being used.

Last edited:
If you have the room you could try two boards. One with the 2x side and the other with the 4x. That way the chickens can choose how they want to sit.

Back
Top Bottom