2x6's for coop walls?

tenderkat

Songster
10 Years
Mar 5, 2009
Foothills west of Denver
I'll be beginning construction of my chicken coop, and I'm hoping to use as many salvaged materials I have laying around as possible. I was thinking perhaps using 2 x 6's butted up snug along side each other for my walls. I won't be running any heat to the coop, so I'm wondering if the boards will provide enough insulation. I was thinking I could face the interior with plywood, if necessary. Any thoughts on this?

Katherine

For the siding of the walls, you mean? Well, you can do it, but a) it is kind of a waste of 2x6s that might be better served for purposes where they are actually *useful*; and b) you will get drafts between the boards, no matter how snugly you try to fit them (unless you own a joiner), so unless you live in such a year-round warm climate where drafts never matter, you will end up having to add a million battens or line the whole thing with something else *anyhow*.

You can use the 2x6s for your stud walls if you want; but I'd go with plywood (or OSB if you don't mind reduced lifespan of the structure) for the actual 'wall' part of the walls. You should be able to scrounge some, or if worse comes to worst it sin't that expensive.

2x6's as studs make GREAT superinsulated walls for northern climates btw
smile.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I agree with Patandchickens... total overkill. I used barn boards butted up next to eachother as siding and it isn't drafty... I also have a heat light run for really cold nights.

if the material is salvage and you prefer not to spend money on siding then go for it. use the board and batton method and you won't have any draft problems. your framing will require horizontal members to accept the vertical siding. 2x6's can also be ripped for use as studs and other components. the structure will be heavy so keep that in mind.

After my house remodel I had several 2x6 pieces left and had a local cabinet maker rip them for me into 2x4's and are using these for my first hen house, he only charged me $10.00 and only asked that they be clean and free of nails.

Back
Top Bottom