2yr old chicken loose poo

CandeeLand

Chirping
Jan 19, 2024
Hello everyone,
I'm in need of your wonderful knowledge & wisdom.
I have a 2yr old Sapphire Gem hen. She has stopped laying for a few months now. After her molt, she just never recovered. Now she has loose & pasty poo, sticking to her rear-end feathers. I'm at a loss as to what to do for her now. I'm giving them probiotics, vitamins, calcium, garlic a couple times now and we just added electrolytes to one of their waters today. What am I doing wrong or what else could I do for her?

Thank you everyone for your willingness to share your knowledge & wisdom with me :)

This was while washing her a few days ago. Yes, I forgot to put my gloves on; which won’t happen again…

Attachments

• IMG_0443.jpeg
    IMG_0443.jpeg
    521 KB · Views: 4
Hello everyone,
I'm in need of your wonderful knowledge & wisdom.
I have a 2yr old Sapphire Gem hen. She has stopped laying for a few months now. After her molt, she just never recovered. Now she has loose & pasty poo, sticking to her rear-end feathers. I'm at a loss as to what to do for her now. I'm giving them probiotics, vitamins, calcium, garlic a couple times now and we just added electrolytes to one of their waters today. What am I doing wrong or what else could I do for her?

Thank you everyone for your willingness to share your knowledge & wisdom with me :)
Give her a warm soak in epsom salt water to clean off the gunk at it can lead to deadly fly strike.
Dry her well with clean towels and trim the butt fluff so tbe droppings will not get stuck so easily.

When did you last deworm?

Give her a warm soak in epsom salt water to clean off the gunk at it can lead to deadly fly strike.
Dry her well with clean towels and trim the butt fluff so tbe droppings will not get stuck so easily.

When did you last deworm?
I’ve not dewormed for a while and have fed them pumpkin and cucumber seeds.

Did she ever have problems building a strong eggshell?

You can give her a
daily tablet of calcium citrate 600+D3 to help expel any residues of possible shell-less eggs or accumulated infectious material.
It would also help with building proper eggshells again. Adding a bit of vitamin C will help with the uptake.
You can give her the extra calcium for 7-10 consecutive days and see if it helps.

I’ve not dewormed for a while and have fed them pumpkin and cucumber seeds.
Pumpkin and cucumber seeds won't help in case of severe worm infestation.

It is better to use Flubendazole, Fenbendazole or in case of tapeworm Pratziquantel and clean the coop and run daily during the deworming period.

Pumpkin and cucumber seeds won't help in case of severe worm infestation.

It is better to use Flubendazole, Fenbendazole or in case of tapeworm Pratziquantel and clean the coop and run daily during the deworming period.
If it helps, we didn't see any worms at all. I am one of those people who clean the coop daily.

This has been in all of my research:
  1. Garlic (Allium sativa): This can be given fresh and finely chopped or you can give dried flakes or powders. Whatever form you choose, you will want to treat with an equivalent amount of one to two cloves per hen per day for 10 days. If feeding garlic as a preventative measure, merely ensure it’s available and mixed in with their feed from time to time.

It could be vent gleet. Id google it.
Thank you. This sounds like what might be happening.

Here's what I found:

How to treat vent gleet naturally

Bathing

• Bathe the affected chicken in a solution of warm water and apple cider vinegar (1 part vinegar to 9 parts water) to help reduce the fungal infection and soothe the affected area.

Topical Treatments

• Apply a topical antifungal cream or ointment, such as Nystatin or Canesten, to the affected area to help combat the fungal infection.
  • Apply a small amount of yogurt or probiotic powder to the vent area to help restore the natural balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.

Dietary Changes

• Feed your chickens a diet rich in probiotics, such as yogurt or probiotic powder, to help restore the natural balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.
  • Add garlic to their feed or water to help combat the fungal infection.
Supplements

• Add apple cider vinegar to their water or feed to help reduce the risk of fungal infections.
  • Use a probiotic supplement specifically designed for chickens to help restore the natural balance of beneficial bacteria in the digestive tract.

Prevention

• Preventing vent gleet is always better than treating it. Keep your chickens’ environment clean and dry, and provide a balanced diet rich in probiotics to help maintain a healthy digestive system.

Back
Top Bottom