3 1/2 year old having "night terrors" HELP!

My Twin sons had them. Kyle's first one happened before he could walk, he was standing in his crib holding the sides and just screaming, he had on leg pulled up to his tummy and looked so scared, it lasted about 5 min. They he just plopped back down and fell asleep. I tried to pick him up, but he was holding on to the crib so tight I couldn't get him loose.
I had no idea what had happened.
Dustin's was at about 10 months old, we were visiting relatives and watching a movie, he starting screaming and his eyes would roll back I thought he was having a seizure.
His lasted about 5 min. He woke up when the tv movie that we paused went off and startled him awake. He was looking at us like we were nuts!
He snuggled down and went back to sleep.
It was a rough road after that.
They know so much more about it now.
My SIL. says her Dr said to wake him about 45 min after he falls asleep, just enough to interrupt his sleep cycle. She said it does help.
I don't think your daughter is having night terrors you would know because it scares the hell out of you. She may be hot, or dreaming and able to move in her dream state, like acting out the dream.
You can gently try to move her to wake her just enough to get her to stop, I have done so with my youngest who sleep walks. He punches and kicks in his sleep, he has even stood up and acted out a sword fight! It was funny, but does get old. He ends up in bed with us about 5 in the morning on most nights!
My Son Kyle, had his last night terror about a year ago, he was 20, he remembers being terrified about something, he ran out of his room and hit his head on the door jam, and woke up heart racing, and shaking, asking what happened. He said he was so scared of something and had to run. I was glad he didn't hit the door harder.
He hasn't had any since.
I think that was one of his worst, he was screaming and yelling God no, please no, and then went running. He woke me up, and DH was already up for work, he went running up the steps to help him, he couldn't figure out why he was yelling.
Good luck, if you are concerned just talk to you DR, they will help, and at least ease your mind.
Brenda

thanks everyone. she does sweat bullets after the whole thing, and the music and fan thing sounds like it may help.

It happens fairly often and i may end up talking to her dr about it.
thanks for the support!!

Have your Doctor do a blood sugar check... My BIL has juvenile diabetes, and he used to get night terrors when he had a low or high blood sugar...

I'm sorry you are going through this... Hope it gets better soon!
hugs.gif

Last edited:
It's just something to get done and out of the way.. Just a finger prick is all...

THat way you can at least rule that out!

(you quoted me before I could get back and fix my flubs
smile.png
my fingers are frozen this morning!!!)

Hopefully it is just something to grow out of.. I used to sleep walk horribly when I was young... I would grab toys and run to my mom's room screaming the house was on fire... and be totally asleep... My mom couldn't wake me and when She would tell me about it I had no idea... I thought she was a little lOOney :}

Keep us posted!

holy crap...ive never heard of this b4. i used to sleepwalk, but ive never heard of "night terror" in my life. anytime anything happens to ur kids and u cant do anything about it is horrible. sorry this stuff is happening to yal. hope all ends ok

Quote:
There might be something to this; my husband is the type that could never be waked up by shaking or hollering . . .stand back, and he is diabetic, thinks he probably has been since a young man. One of our daughters had the night terrors, and would get up with her little pretend basket and pick up her eggs, she is also not diabetic. Her daughter sleeps o.k., but is extremely emotional (but still adorable ) and DH and I think she is showing signs of diabetes, and her youngest was a sleep walker and we had to put chain locks up high on all the doors because of her getting out of their house. . .this very well might be something in this thinking worth checking out. You don't have to have diabetes in your family for it to show up. . .it has to start somewhere. Good luck. Loving comfort is about all you can do to get them through it. It sounds horrible, I remember those screams and the stress it caused all of us, so hope things get better real quick!!!
love.gif

My son also had night terrors. Started when he was about 3yrs old and lasted to about 4 1/2yrs. He would sit up, flail about with his eyes open and scream. It is very scary to witness. We would just make sure he didn't hurt himself until it was over. He would then fall back to sleep just as suddenly as the episode had started. He will be turning 6 next month and has not had any terrors for approximately a year. Although, he does still have bad nightmares.
hmm.png

hmmmm. well, she took a nap today, im gonna stay up tonight and see if she does this again. if not, then ill try to make her nap everyday.

The first thing I would look at is food...what did they eat that day? Seriously, food alone can cause all kinds of neurological offenses to those who may be sensitive to certain things. Ask me about chocolate...seriously if I eat chocolate I feel like I belong in a mental institution for three days afterward. It is a very unsettling experience for days. And it is alot more than just hyperactivity, it is almost completely mentally incapacitating.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom