3-10 wk old silkie bantams... Roo or Hen?

Catherine Adkins

In the Brooder
Jun 5, 2017
20170606_082748.jpg
20170606_082820.jpg
20170606_082710.jpg
I have 3 10 week silkies.
Don't know if Roos or Hens

Last edited:
Silkies are difficult because they can take a long time to mature. There's nothing screaming "boy" at the moment. I had one with a slicked back top knot like yours and it was a girl so don't worry about that. I know it's difficult not knowing!

Silkies are difficult because they can take a long time to mature. There's nothing screaming "boy" at the moment. I had one with a slicked back top knot like yours and it was a girl so don't worry about that. I know it's difficult not knowing!
Only one has a comb and it acts like a rooster.
The other two don't.

Well, I'm going to differ here.

I think the middle one is definitely a rooster, and the top likely a rooster.
Your third bottom bird is looking pullet.

Silkie hens should have very little wattle even as full grown hens. That much comb and wattle in the middle bird really indicates roo to me. I also think the top bird with that much wattle, especially at this age, is likely rooster.

My thoughts.
LofMc

I only saw the last photo before. The other two are looking like boys with so much wattle showing at 10 weeks old - sorry!

I would like to see good photos of them facing forward with crest (feathers) pulled back to display full extent of comb.

I notice none of the three have black beaks, What color are their legs & feet? How many toes?. Are these hatchery birds or from a breeder?

Like the others mentioned, it does look like the first two are cockerels - hope the last one is a pullet.

I would like to see good photos of them facing forward with crest (feathers) pulled back to display full extent of comb.

I notice none of the three have black beaks, What color are their legs & feet? How many toes?. Are these hatchery birds or from a breeder?

Like the others mentioned, it does look like the first two are cockerels - hope the last one is a pullet.

All have black legs and 5 toes

20170607_121651.jpg
20170607_121624.jpg
20170607_121600.jpg
20170607_121651.jpg

Back
Top Bottom