3 10gal tank incubation experiments

I never tried to incubate chicken eggs either of those ways but I have incubated hundreds of reptile, primarily snake eggs that way. I tried these methods when I first started to breed snakes and turtles back in the late 80's.
One method I did was to have water on the bottom of a fish tank with a heating pad, usually on low underneath. I used bricks and a wire platform and then placed small rubbermaid containers on top of that with the eggs inside. I also did a couple other methods including using vermiculite/perlite for moisture instead of the water and also depending on the type of eggs I would sometime not even use the heating pad since the room itself close to the ceiling was always very warm since at the time I used to heat the entire room rather then individually. You can easily manipulate the moisture content by partially or almost completely covering the top.

Right now I have a shallow rubbermaid tub (under bed rolley one) wrapped on the sides and bottom with a velour blanket. Inside I have a sponge sitting in a soapdish of water, a temp/humidity thermometer at egg level, a piece of lexan sitting on top (with the ability to shift it to allow airflow) and a red bulb clamp-style heatlamp suspended over it. I have found the optimum distance from the tub to keep the temp at a steady 100 degrees. I did this for less that $20 and I have 80+ eggs in it right now. I also have eggs that I put in the real bator, with a turner, so we will see what my hatch ratio is between the 2 setups.

Personally, I love my "Ghetto-Bator" and am hopeful that it will work.

(I had set it up as a Ghetto-Hatcher last round, and it work phenominally well!)

Katie

Back
Top Bottom