1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3-4 eggs a day to 0 ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by moosenbudda, Apr 22, 2009.

1. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    I have 5 pullets and 1 rooster all about 6 months old, they all just started laying about a month ago and just recently i started getting 4 a day and it was for two days and they yesterday i got none...... Can they all take there break on the same day ? Theres no changes in there diet, they cant be hiding them because they have been in the coop for the past week because of a pack of wild dogs that already took out some other chickens in the area, they couldnt have been scared by the dogs either because I have my dogs out there and they dont bother the chickens they just keep everything else away. Is there anything that I can do to get there production up again ? there on 18 % protein crumbles thats calcium fortified.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
  3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I feel that its normal. I have 5, 2 yr old, that some days I get 5 eggs, most days 2, 3, 4.
    Simple startles can upset that balance, from another bird flying over, hawks landing in trees above, the pecking order and they do have some control over ovulation.
    Today or soon they should be back up to normal. Also, some farmers claim that if you feed anything else other then layer feed, you will not get steady eggs, I prefer the pet aspect and give them treats, for health.
    Good luck and I'm certain a more knowledgeable chicken tender will give you a more technical answer.
    Have a great day!!!

4. Ryu

Ryu Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Well, mine are in three different pens and I have gone at least a week with no egg!

I was inspecting the girls, and I think something has thrown them into a molt. Not a full molt, like a mini molt. Their feathers look fine on the surface, but there are new feather quills under there.

Nothing has really changed, the weather has been really up and down, but nothing has really changed in the coop.

I guess I'm going to take the opportunity to deworm and Frontline everyone.

5. moosenbudda

moosenbudda Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    So. cali
    **************UPDATE *******************
    So I went outside a little while ago and I found 4 eggs in the box ! YAY !!!! I guess they just needed a day off ?! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by