3-4 week old chick

Newchickymom8

In the Brooder
Sep 26, 2021
I have a 3-4 week old chick that was fine yesterday but today is breathing heavy and lethargic. I have not see her poop today and is not eating/drinking. All other chicks are fine. Other that the issues listed above she looks good.For the last week I have been introducing them to there outside coop during the day. They have loved it. The weather here has been great. 75-85 degrees. Any suggestions as to what could have happened or what I can do to save the chick?

Attachments

• 8AEEAF01-0DE6-4DD2-8059-C2EDD9648737.png
    8AEEAF01-0DE6-4DD2-8059-C2EDD9648737.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    298.9 KB · Views: 4
Hard to say. Maybe she ate of inhaled too much of the wood shaving? Maybe she is sick?
Do quarantine her. Better be safe than sorry.
If it was my chick I would give her a cozy warm setup, fresh water to drink and make a little chick feed mash with a little scrambled egg.

Is she pooping, and has it been runny with mucus or blood? How does her crop feel in her upper right chest? Empty, full, hard, or puffy? Did she have chick grit available if she was eating grass or foods other than chick starter? Can you get her drinking some water or buttermilk? It may not be coccidiosis, but you could treat her for that with Corid if you can get some. Dosage is 2 tsp of the liquid Corid in a gallon of water for 5-7 days.

I only offer starter feed in the broader and in the coop. I got her to drink a little bit earlier but she is rapidly declining. She won’t even open her eyes anymore. She is like a limp noodle when I pick her up. Just breathing fast and heavy.

The 9 other chicks seem fine. The lost was just so sudden that I am worried. I have never raised chickens before so I am just doing my best. Thank y’all for everything.

So sorry that you lost her. Your state vet could look for coccidiosis or whatever killed her with a necropsy, if you keep the body cold, but not frozen overnight, and take it in, in the morning.

Back
Top Bottom