3-4 week old chickens

Daisychik

In the Brooder
Apr 25, 2022
Can my 3-4 week old chickens have bread? They don't have any grit yet, I thought putting some dirt in for them.

Attachments

• 20220517_171503.jpg
    20220517_171503.jpg
    472.4 KB · Views: 13
My babies are the same age. I've been giving them a very small amount of bread as a treat (in addition to crumbles) but we do also have chick grit. I hope that's not a mistake!

I would try to get some grit going sooner rather than later. If no grit on hand, a nice chunk of dirt in a bowl is a good workaround - scatter some of their food in/on it to get them scratching and digging in it.

For the bread, only in very limited quantities. If you were to translate this to a human, imagine a 6 month old and you are giving them cake. Ok in very small quantities, not good in excess.

I would try to get some grit going sooner rather than later. If no grit on hand, a nice chunk of dirt in a bowl is a good workaround - scatter some of their food in/on it to get them scratching and digging in it.

For the bread, only in very limited quantities. If you were to translate this to a human, imagine a 6 month old and you are giving them cake. Ok in very small quantities, not good in excess.
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom