3-4 yr old Australorp hen acting odd?

Ako-nee

Chirping
8 Years
Jun 26, 2014
We adopted 7 hens after losing our original flock about 3 months ago. Things have gone really well with them, but about four days ago I noticed one of them was acting odd. I was so worried it was egg bound considering her age, but it’s been about four days so I can at least cross that out. I induced vomiting in her the first day I noticed her behavior was off and nothing majorly concerning came out (no mass amount of food that couldn’t get down or anything). But she’s just acting slow. She isn’t waddling but just doesn’t want to be too close to the flock. At first I thought maybe she was in a really bad molt- and she is, but this slow behavior just seems off? This is my first year of chicken ownership, so I just want to help her. I give them poultry booster in their food and scratch and they of course have access to water. She’s drinking and still will eat things. I gave her some egg the second day of this issue too.

Are younchecking her crop in the early morning before she has a chance to eat and drink, to make sure it has emptied overnight? When my hens have molted, they eat less, just hang around, are more aloof, and don’t like to be handled. I would not ever try to make a chicken vomit, because they can aspirate crop contents and die. I offer some scrambled eggs each day, and just provide clean water and food each day.

Are younchecking her crop in the early morning before she has a chance to eat and drink, to make sure it has emptied overnight? When my hens have molted, they eat less, just hang around, are more aloof, and don’t like to be handled. I would not ever try to make a chicken vomit, because they can aspirate crop contents and die. I offer some scrambled eggs each day, and just provide clean water and food each day.
When I made her vomit her crop was very swollen in comparison to the rest of her flock, but it feels normal now. They’ve never liked being handled due to a lack of handling from the previous owner… is it possible only one hen would be molting right now?? She’s making me so worried- especially since this has gone on for four days!

Back
Top Bottom