3 broody hens

oldchickenlady

Songster
9 Years
May 9, 2010
Cabot, AR
I have 3 broody hens and I had 4 fertile eggs. 2 hens are sharing a nest, although I have 4 nests. Yesterday one of the eggs pipped in the nest with 2 hens and somehow the hens mashed it to death. I went to the coop last night to check on it and to candle the other eggs. I found another pipped egg and moved it from the nest with 2 hens and put it under the hen setting by herself. Two other eggs were fertile and developing and had movement. One was not fertile, so I discarded that one. My question is this, should I let each hen have an egg to hatch, or should I give 1 hen all the eggs. I think I am going to have to let one hen have this egg that has pipped, but the other 2 don't seem to be as far along. Other hens apparently kept laying or the broodys kept laying for a few days. If I let each hen have a chick, will I have to keep all 3 hens separate from each other? I've never had 3 broody hens at once. I had one go broody and hatch out 3 chicks in May. Since then all my Foley SLW have been determined to go broody. I tried to break them, but was not successful. I want them to get over this broody phase so they will start laying again. I have an incubator and can hatch more myself, if they would just get over being broody and start laying again! Any info would be appreciated. I could crank up my incubator today and try to finish the incubation process if anyone thinks that may increase the chance of survival of the remaining eggs.

Back
Top Bottom