3 Chickens Died this Summer :(

layne517

Chirping
Sep 1, 2015
I'm so sad! I don't know if it's a fluke or what, but I lost a chicken in June (i was on vacation, so I'm not sure of the circumstances. My mom was with her and 10 minutes later, found her dead - no marks or anything.), One in July - found her in the morning in the coop dead. Again - no marks or telltale signs. This morning I went into the coop and Pearl was still on the roost. Very lethargic and couldn't stand. I immediately took her to the "hospital"/broody breaker cage and used a dropper to give her water. She was gone in about an hour. No marks, or telltale signs. I'm so very sad. I do not want this to happen again!! Any advice?? They are all about a year old. Also - before June I was getting 9-11 eggs a day from 14 hens. Since then I'm lucky I get 6 a day from 11. It's killing my egg deliveries. Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
sad.png

I'm sorry for you loss.

If you still have the body, you may want to send her for necropsy. With this being the 3rd hen that has died in such short time - with no obvious symptoms or indication of illness/attack then having her an examination would be in order.

Some things to investigate would be moldy feed, anything chemicals toxins that could have been ingested, hot weather and dehydration, not enough ventilation in the coop. There are so many things that can suddenly go wrong.

Back
Top Bottom