3 Chickens Tough and Stringy... help!

WhiteMountainsRanch

Crowing
9 Years
Jun 19, 2010
San Diego, CA
I've eaten three of my own chickens now, all different ages (9 to 20 weeks) and processed on different days and different breeds. The first two I thought I over-cooked, the third one I KNOW I didn't. After processing I rinse extra well in cold water and rest in the fridge for 48 hours.... WHY oh WHY are all my chickens tough and stringy!!!!

Hmm, they're not too old, and you've rested the meat. Maybe cooking method/high heat? I'm not a super experienced cook, but we've had pretty good results with cooking on lowish temps (325ish) with some liquid in the roasting pan.

How are you culling them? I heard if its not quick and easy their body wil release adrenaline and makes the meat become tough..just what i was told not sure if its %100 true though

The weird part is, is that none of my "store" birds turn out this way! There must be some other factor besides the cooking... Maybe I will try a different culling method, or let them rest longer... I don't know.
hmm.png

Tough and stringy compared to what? an 8 week old CX. A standard dual purpose bird would or should be tender at 8 weeks but not much meat on one. My DP birds are always a little tougher.

How did you kill them? like i said earlier if they dont die right away it releases adrenaline in thier body which makes the meat become tough

Back
Top Bottom