1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 Chickens Tough and Stringy... help!

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by WhiteMountainsRanch, Apr 8, 2011.

1. WhiteMountainsRanch

WhiteMountainsRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    I've eaten three of my own chickens now, all different ages (9 to 20 weeks) and processed on different days and different breeds. The first two I thought I over-cooked, the third one I KNOW I didn't. After processing I rinse extra well in cold water and rest in the fridge for 48 hours.... WHY oh WHY are all my chickens tough and stringy!!!!

2. PatS

PatS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Northern Califonia
    Hmm, they're not too old, and you've rested the meat. Maybe cooking method/high heat? I'm not a super experienced cook, but we've had pretty good results with cooking on lowish temps (325ish) with some liquid in the roasting pan.

3. dragon86

dragon86 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    west frankfort, il
    i like to cook them in a slow cooker for a long time then make dumplins.

4. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    How are you culling them? I heard if its not quick and easy their body wil release adrenaline and makes the meat become tough..just what i was told not sure if its %100 true though

5. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The weird part is, is that none of my "store" birds turn out this way! There must be some other factor besides the cooking... Maybe I will try a different culling method, or let them rest longer... I don't know. [​IMG]

6. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    Tough and stringy compared to what? an 8 week old CX. A standard dual purpose bird would or should be tender at 8 weeks but not much meat on one. My DP birds are always a little tougher.

7. Posh Chickens

Posh Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2011
    West Midlands, UK
    Yeah, I heard that about the adrenaline, but also I heard that if there is stress, that their meat becomes tough.

8. WhiteMountainsRanch

Jun 19, 2010
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    The first two were cornish, the third was DP... but they were ALL tough and stringy... boyfriend couldn't even eat it. [​IMG]

9. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    How did you kill them? like i said earlier if they dont die right away it releases adrenaline in thier body which makes the meat become tough

10. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    I hear killing cones help keep them tender as a slaughter method. Ice water is best for cooling them out. The colder the better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by