3 chicks hatched by broody hen

Jun 11, 2020
One of my 13 month-old Black Australorp girls went hard core broody in early April and since I couldn’t break her, I decided to give her all the eggs laid on Saturday, May 17. She sat tight on 8 eggs but since she insisted on brooding in the favorite nest box, eggs were added daily. The original 8 were marked and I pulled the new ones daily. In the tussle for favorite box, two eggs were broken and both were certainly in early development. I broke one egg when I was candling (newbie mistake). 5 fertile eggs remained. My intention was and is to let the hen hatch and raise the chicks with the flock. I know it’s risky, but I‘m well set up for it and since chickens have managed to reproduce without human intervention in the past, I’m sure they still know what they’re doing. So the experiment begins.

I was greeted on Friday morning, May 7 by this little darling in the coop and the entire flock was standing around staring at it while mama was off getting a drink.
BD706FBF-7A94-4686-95D4-0461958F282D.jpeg

I was concerned she had abandoned the nest when the first chick hatched, but it was unfounded. She came racing back in before I even had a chance to go looking for her. And she sat tight while the next two hatched throughout the day. See the blue one in the back? I caught that chick hatching on video and it was amazing!
9A9E84AE-6FDA-446E-9628-E0A0863CC2FE.jpeg

And then there were two...
88C48D4F-226D-43AE-8B0C-B04AFBE6C31A.jpeg

The third hatched late Friday evening and I noticed the largest blue egg had pipped, so I expected that one to greet me Saturday morning. Sadly, I was greeted by three live chicks and the fourth lay dying. The box was occupied by another hen sitting on two live chicks, and there was no blue shell in the box. I suspect the non-mama hen “helped” the chick because it was fully formed but didn’t seem to have completed the hatching struggle. I removed the intruder and guided mama and her one wayward chick back into the box. Three healthy chicks, one seeming to be dying. I checked about 30 minutes later and it was still not standing, so I culled it since the others were beginning to peck at it. The fourth egg has not pipped today and she’s been off the next quite a bit with the three, so I suspect it’s no longer viable. I found it cold several times today. If no action tomorrow, I’ll pull the egg and leave her to raise the three. They are darling and precocious, and she seems to be a good mama. She’s not highly ranked in the flock, but I haven’t seen any aggression from the other hens or the rooster, so I’m hopeful.
08F1C620-B550-4A6D-B463-4E3DEF9D4A2B.jpeg

They are all solid black at this point, but identifiable by some underlying fluff. My flock is mixed and the rooster is a mix as well, so who knows what we’re getting? The first two hatched from EE hens, and the third was either an Australorp or Barred Rock. My rooster is a mystery cross but I suspect silkie x Copper Marans. He and his two sisters have black skin and extra toes. The sisters are fairly small and solid black, but Dwaine has some gold flecking on his neck and green in his tail. He’s large and lovely, and a perfect gentleman so far with my family and his ladies. Very proficient with fertilizing those eggs, too—and his genetics are strong. Chicks all have the extra toes and black skin. Someday I’ll learn about chicken genetics but for now, I’ll enjoy the wonders of chicks.
EE25308C-10BE-43F1-BA8A-EC3F3A432544.jpeg

I’ll add to this story as they develop. Here’s to hoping the hen can bring them into adulthood : )

Big congratulations! That is a good story and I enjoyed. My, your boy is quite the looker. :love :p
Well, you are more patient than I, I lock my broody in her own mini coop as I always forget to mark eggs, I don't like getting yelled or bit and I avoid a world of chicken drama! :oops:

Have fun on your new adventure! :jumpy:jumpy:jumpyHaving your own bloodline is awesome and may they all be girls! :fl :fl :fl :fl

Congrats but the other hens laying on top of a broody is why I built a cage I can put the broody in to hatch. That and one time when I let a broody hatch in the coop the rest of the dinosaurs ate the first chick. It followed momma down for her daily eat/drink/poop and the rest of the gang done their thing. Now if one goes broody and I want to hatch I put her in the nesting cage and give her the freshest 12 eggs I have.

Chicks are one week today and all is well. Mama encouraged them to jump from the house down into the run today. They foraged and dug for hours down there while the rest of the flock looked on mildly as they passed through on their way to lay. I later found mama and babies out in the yard with the flock, again chickening about peacefully without a care in the world. When another hen walks to close, mama fusses and chases her away. Otherwise, there is no conflict. I had to adjust the ramp back into the house portion to allow the babies to make it up, but they seem to be navigating the ins and outs of coop life well. I hope mama and the flock remain alert for predators and continue to raise these babies well.

Attachments

• 59E76470-8599-455E-A125-2C656997C881.jpeg
    59E76470-8599-455E-A125-2C656997C881.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • 107385E0-4A25-4533-92E8-68A9100A4CB5.jpeg
    107385E0-4A25-4533-92E8-68A9100A4CB5.jpeg
    1,011.8 KB · Views: 12

Back
Top Bottom