Hey, all! I just started our family endeavor with three chicks (couple of weeks old-I'm guessing). I hope I'm doing this right. So far they are living in a dog crate with pine shavings on the floor, a waterer and feeder, and heat lamp to keep them warm. My kids are handling them a LOT. Is that ok? Also, my husband who is not completely on board with my idea of having chickens, thinks we are all going to get salmonella poisoning from them. We wash our hands frequently, but I have to wonder if they're truly that germ-ridden. Advice? Love the web-site and my new chicks!