3 chicks missing feathers

babyelle

In the Brooder
8 Years
Mar 2, 2011
i have 7 bantams in various breeds, three are most likely cochins and they are all missing feathers on their shoulder blades (where the bony part of their wing bends). they are 5 weeks old and in a fairly large brooder box with 7- 5 week old standard chicks. they do have an outdoor space during the day...it is actually our garden box that we will be planting soon. anyway, i never see any fighting or problems among the flock. some roost while they sleep but many like to cuddle up together. these three are always in a sleeping heap of chicks...is it possible that the feathers are just being worn off? why would it just be these three? is this common? i haven't made any changes to their habitat yet but i don't want to be negligent if this is a problem.

Might be all the snuggling...I dunno...mine snuggle and they don't have that issue.
hmm.png

I hope someone can help you out and I hope it's nothing to worry about.
hugs.gif

is it common for chicks to lose their downy feathers completely before their real/adult feathers come in?

No, they will usually go through stages - usually the wings are first, then the oh-so-cute tails (teehee). Sounds like your cochins are just growing - if they have down there, don't worry, they aren't missing feathers yet, they just haven't grown them in yet! Maybe a picture would help clear things up. Sometimes they go through these super ugly teenage stages and you're like "WAH? You're going to grow into my beautiful puffballs?!"

You should see a Marans... Poor things. By then the Dominiques are all but completely feathered in and the Marans have huge legs with tons of feathers on them and none on their shoulders. Awful.

too funny. my other chicks are really becoming beautiful and didn't have much of a "dorky" stage. these poor little girls are taking it for the rest then...even their necks are scraggly and bare. they look awful:/

Back
Top Bottom