3 coyotes...

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Felony, Dec 4, 2011.

1. Felony

Felony Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    about 2 hours ago my husband went out in the backyard to fill up the generator, with his headlamp (we have no electricity here, well yes, when the generator is on!) and he ran back to tell me there was coyotes in the back...so I went and he shine the light right on them....they were by the pond, down the hill about, hum I dont know how to calculate this...far enough so that I wasn't scared but close enough i could see them really well! They just stood there for a while, starring right back at us...then went in the woods. I hope they are not thinking about getting my chickens! I was just freaked they really didn't seemed to be bothered by us! Of course i'm not that worried since the chickens are locked in their coop, no way in!

2. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    [​IMG] Yep.. they must be thirsty and hungry...

3. Felony

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:kind of scary [​IMG] At night if i'm out when the sun just got down they howl...and a couple of time last winter me and my husband went night walking, in winter I love it at night....( I know the bears are sleeping ) and we could hear them bark at each other on both sides of us....ahhhhhh crazy stuff.

4. peterlund

peterlund Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    MA Cranberry Country
    Mostly today they are NOT afraid of humans, they run in packs and are VERY clever,,, One will lure their prey with a whine or submissive sound, and as the prey (dog. cat, etc) goes towards the sound their are others waiting to make the kill. They are clever. CLEVER. Do something now to make them consider YOUR territory the last Place to go... (shotgun blast etc).... They remember where "food" is along their travel paths, and they will be back.

5. Felony

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:We also feed the deers so that's probably not helping...but next time we see them, even though as a ''nature loving'' person I am fascinated when I see them (because it's only the second time I actually see them)...I know it would be wise to do as you say and use the shotgun to scare them...

EDIT: I am also worried for my dog because I let her loose outside to do her things, and I didnt know they lured dogs too...they eat dog or what? I am not really educated about coyotes...i probably should!

Last edited: Dec 4, 2011
  6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cats and dogs are on their list of desirable things to eat. As previously stated one coyote will lead your dog away and then the family will attack, kill, and eat the dog.

7. Felony

Nov 16, 2011
    Quebec, Canada
    Quote:ok...thanks for info ! I knew when I moved here they were around and I'm ok with it, but now I'll seriously watch for my dog at night...

8. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Right after we moved out in the country, my rather large cat came back from a hunt missing a wad of fur from his tail. He refused to set foot out the door for several days. I always have blamed the coyotes (we have quite a few in the area).

9. Anna_MN

Anna_MN Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2011
    Princeton, MN
    I know exactly how this is- we have a pack of about 12 coyotes that live on the other side of our creek in our back yard. Coyotes are beginning to become a huge problem in central Minnesota. Our neighbors who live kitty-corner from us on the other side of the creek have a VERY large flock of chickens (border line hoarders) and about once a week while I’m outside cleaning out the girl's coop and feeding them I hear a coyote getting a chicken (or two, or three, or four, or more....). The frustrating thing is that my kitty-corner neighbors don't really care that their chickens are being eating- but I would care a lot of mine did! The coyotes won't leave because they are constantly getting free meals and now they are used to humans. If I ever see one in my back yard by my girls, they better run fast because I will have a gun locked and loaded!!! [​IMG]

10. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Just this past weekend I noticed a greyish mass on the other side of the creek. My first thought was coyote but thought naw, not by the creek. Then the mass went into the creek and was not bothered by me or the back porch light on which is hop I seen it. I eased back in the house to get the flashlight and it was halfway across the creek, about 10" deep where it was at, when I got back outside. The door creeked alittle and it heard it and walked off. Not run but walked. Could this have been a Coyote?

I went out front to let the dogs out and heard them yelping just across the street. I thought yep, that was a coyote. I have three goats on the property and I believe they are trying to ease their way into the yard to get at them and not the chickens.

I like the shotgun blast idea and may have to try that next time I spot one. We also have beavers and nutrias in the creek but not sure if one of them would exit the creek to flee from a human.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by