3 day old baby chick covered in wet food...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by buggal, May 3, 2017.

1. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    I need some advice on bathing a baby chick... I have 3 day old chicks that are in a brooder with 4 day old baby turkeys and 4 day old baby ducks... I have learned that this is not a good combination. The ducks have made a complete mess of the brooder and have gotten all the shavings wet, food is wet and they have gotten some of the wet food on the chicks and turkeys. 2 of the chicks are completely caked in this wet food. I put them back in the incubator as soon as I found them (they looked almost dead). They dried out but the food is coating them to the point that they do not look like they have feathers. I just checked on them a few minutes before I read this thread and one had died. The other seems to be doing ok but needs to be cleaned BAD!!! I need all suggestions on how to do this. I do know that one of her eyes is closed and I am thinking this is due to the food that is all over her and it needs to be soaked. I know this is risky but she can't live in the incubator until she grows new feathers.
    HELP!!!
    TIA
    Lisa
    P.S. I have since separated the chicks and turkeys from the ducks

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

Gently rinse her in warm water. Make sure she doesn't get cold. You can then stick her back in the incubator to dry off

1 person likes this.
  3. buggal

buggal Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2016
    Aubrey, TX
    Should I use any soap???

4. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

You could use some environmentally friendly soap, but I'd just try it with plain water first

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by