3 day old chick doesn't need heat lamp?

JustAChickenLoverOverHere

💙 JACLOH 💜
Jan 30, 2021
Houston, Texas
So, we hatched out a serama chick three days ago, and for the first day, it had the heat lamp on and in the brooder it was 93 degrees. On day two, we took Pipsqueak out and kept (for easier typing, we'll call it a he) him in our hoodie and sweater sleeves. All day. Without the heat lamp. In our hands and hoodie sleeves (You know, like long sleeve ones that are too big and too long so you can retract your hands? Yeah he enjoys hiding and snuggling in those). And day three, today, without the heat lamp as well. We have the heat lamp, but during the night he doesn't seem to need it either, though we do keep it on because we don't want him to pass away due to being too cold. Pipsqueak seems very happy, eating well, drinking well, playing and running, so I don't think it affects him in any way. Odd. Come to think of it, when I was 7 to 9, I had several chicks with my sister, and we had NO idea whatsoever that the chicks needed heat lamps. These chicks were from a local hardware store and they were anywhere from 3-5 days when we bought them. We NEVER gave ANY of them any heat whatsoever. They were just indoors and they had their own cage that they slept in. None of them ever died of cold. We didn't hold them that much either and we only had two at a time. What do you guys think?

So, we hatched out a serama chick three days ago, and for the first day, it had the heat lamp on and in the brooder it was 93 degrees. On day two, we took Pipsqueak out and kept (for easier typing, we'll call it a he) him in our hoodie and sweater sleeves. All day. Without the heat lamp. In our hands and hoodie sleeves (You know, like long sleeve ones that are too big and too long so you can retract your hands? Yeah he enjoys hiding and snuggling in those). And day three, today, without the heat lamp as well. We have the heat lamp, but during the night he doesn't seem to need it either, though we do keep it on because we don't want him to pass away due to being too cold. Pipsqueak seems very happy, eating well, drinking well, playing and running, so I don't think it affects him in any way. Odd. Come to think of it, when I was 7 to 9, I had several chicks with my sister, and we had NO idea whatsoever that the chicks needed heat lamps. These chicks were from a local hardware store and they were anywhere from 3-5 days when we bought them. We NEVER gave ANY of them any heat whatsoever. They were just indoors and they had their own cage that they slept in. None of them ever died of cold. We didn't hold them that much either and we only had two at a time. What do you guys think?
It depends on the outside temperature or room temps. Where does he sleep when the heat lamp is on? As chicks age, their heat requirement lowers and if there are many in the group they snuggle to keep themselves warm best as possible. I usually keep my newborns under a heat plate (never use bulb lamps) and let them decide :) But they do need some sort of warmth until they get their main feathers.

It depends on the outside temperature or room temps. Where does he sleep when the heat lamp is on? As chicks age, their heat requirement lowers and if there are many in the group they snuggle to keep themselves warm best as possible. I usually keep my newborns under a heat plate (never use bulb lamps) and let them decide :) But they do need some sort of warmth until they get their main feathers.
He sleeps kinda off to the side but still sorta under the heat lamp. I think he survives because he’s always being held in warm places.

I only have a few... he was only with us for 3 days.
EE4C15CE-1A6E-4106-991F-44236E08D5A9.jpeg

I know I'm late to the thread, but wondered doxyou have pics when Pipsqueak was first hatched? Would love to see! thanks 😊

Back
Top Bottom