3 day old chick in a leg splint

Spellbound4u

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2020
So a veterinarian friend of mine dropped off a 3 day old chick with me that she splinted the leg on. She came across it in a feed store and they were going to euthanize it. I'm not exactly sure what is wrong with it. It's eating and drinking and I keep moving it to be near the food and water. It gets around but not well. My question is how warm to I keep the enclosure? Still keep it at 95 under the lamp even though the chick can't get away from the heat easily? Any thoughts and advice would be great! Thank you so much!

Attachments

• 20200921_180337.jpg
    20200921_180337.jpg
    318.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 20200921_165428.jpg
    20200921_165428.jpg
    276.6 KB · Views: 6
What’s the reasoning for splinting it? Slipped tendon? Or injury? Not sure about what others think, I’m a fairly new chick mom myself. However when I’ve dealt with splinted legs we normally put them in a sling to keep weight off for a bit. If they are with a buddy I’d use the cues from their friend to move the chick if needed and just check frequently.

What’s the reasoning for splinting it? Slipped tendon? Or injury? Not sure about what others think, I’m a fairly new chick mom myself. However when I’ve dealt with splinted legs we normally put them in a sling to keep weight off for a bit. If they are with a buddy I’d use the cues from their friend to move the chick if needed and just check frequently.
She didn't really mention the problem. I dont think she was sure. The chick is keeping most of its weight off the leg as is. She occasionally gets it under her and stands on both. And it's just the 1 chick so I have no buddies to watch. I've raised 1 group of chicks before so I'm still pretty new lol

She didn't really mention the problem. I dont think she was sure. The chick is keeping most of its weight off the leg as is. She occasionally gets it under her and stands on both. And it's just the 1 chick so I have no buddies to watch. I've raised 1 set of chicks before so I'm still pretty new lol
Personally I’d recommend to get it a friend or two if you can. They can get lonely and also use each other for heat and such if needed. That’s what I was told to do for our one lone hatched chick. We put him in the brooder with a few we picked up today and he’s doing lots better and seems happier.

Personally I’d recommend to get it a friend or two if you can. They can get lonely and also use each other for heat and such if needed. That’s what I was told to do for our one lone hatched chick. We put him in the brooder with a few we picked up today and he’s doing lots better and seems happier.
I would love to! But I already have 5 hens and a rooster and where I live i can only have 6 chickens =( but I will consider it!

I would love to! But I already have 5 hens and a rooster and where I live i can only have 6 chickens =( but I will consider it!
Oh pooy. Yea no fun. I’m in the country so no ordinance about that kind of thing here. My husband told me I could only have 4. Then i snuck in 2 more. Then lost 1. Then snuck in four more. Then sold two ( Roos) and got four more. Then hatched out 1 and got 4 more for friends lmao. So while the “rules” here were four max, I’m up to 16..... however my husband can’t fine me or anything sooooo.... I understand. Lol. If you do decide to get him a friend you can always gift/sell/give them away when older.

Oh pooy. Yea no fun. I’m in the country so no ordinance about that kind of thing here. My husband told me I could only have 4. Then i snuck in 2 more. Then lost 1. Then snuck in four more. Then sold two ( Roos) and got four more. Then hatched out 1 and got 4 more for friends lmao. So while the “rules” here were four max, I’m up to 16..... however my husband can’t fine me or anything sooooo.... I understand. Lol. If you do decide to get him a friend you can always gift/sell/give them away when older.
Thats a good point! We will see how it goes lol I just get so attached to them. Which is why I still have my loud roo 😅😂

Back
Top Bottom