3 day old chick - mouth breathing

I just went to look at her again. For some reason, she was laying in her water bowl (which is a tiny jar lid I put in when I separated her from the others). I don't know if she meant to be doing that, but she was. Now I have a wet sick chick.

organicfoltzfamilyfarm,,

Thank you for posting that chart. Lots of good (and sad) information in there. I didn't realize 3 day old chicks could be sick with such bad things. Of course, it could be several things. She doesn't have all the signs of one thing yet, but she has a few signs of some bad ones. Basically, she's small and she's gasping. She was eating and drinking up until this afternoon though and she doesn't have diarrhea. Her stools have been normal chick poop.

Anyways, it's night here so I can't get any antibiotics if that's what she even needs. I will be feeding and watering her throughout the night. I got some pedialyte (suggested from another site) and some yogurt. Someone said yogurt wasn't good for chickens since they are lactose intolerant. Is there something else I should be giving her? How often should I wake her and force her to drink water? How often should I wake her to force her to eat yogurt (or something else)? How much (ml) of water and yogurt should I be giving her each time?

Thanks,
DAWN

Hope s/he has a safe journey.

Poor little thing. Sometimes mother nature can be cruel. But death is always a learning experience. Still research what could have been wrong with her. You never know when you might come across another case, and maybe next time you might be able to save it.

Sorry for your loss
sad.png

I just wanted to say I am very sorry for your loss. You did everything you could do for her. I also had a sick chick pass recently that I didn't know what was wrong with her and you can become attached very quickly and it is hard when they go.

Back
Top Bottom