3 day old chick swollen neck

birdy_num_nums

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 28, 2008
Chick has been lethargic, not eating or drinking, sleepy. I started giving her sugar water via dipping her beak into a straw with a few drops of the sugar water late this morning. She seems to be taking a bit in, even making a bit of an effort a few times to drink on her own the rest of the drops in the straw. Yet still lethargic... I was hoping to see her perk up and start drinking the water out of the waterer. Just a while ago I was giving her some more via the straw and noticed that one side of her neck is swollen; so much that on one part I can see skin. I am so sad- it seems like the liquid she's been taking is just building up in there, not going through her digestive system
sad.png

Is there anything I can try to do for her? I want so much to save her, the poor little thing.

age and breed of chick?
shipped or hatched yourself?
is the feed medicated?
what is the bedding?

3 days old, shipped to me, RIR I think (I got 12 chicks, all different breeds), definitely NOT eating nor drinking nor voiding, chick's right side of neck (I am pretty sure, without going in there to get it right now), feed not medicated, bedding small pine shavings under straw initially, then I covered almost all of that with the bedding sent in the shipping box (with the chicks) and paper towels- chicks were pecking at the pine initially for a short while.

Last edited:
looked again at chick, yes it is the chick's right side, I tried to massage the area with the chick upside down, hoping maybe she'd throw up what's in there, maybe dislodge something stuck in there? She looks like she'll die soon
sad.png
sad.png
I don't know how aggressive to be with massaging her neck; maybe at this point I shouldn't worry about being gentle and just go for heroics?
errrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggg I feel so helpless
sad.png

and like it was probably my fault because it may have been the dang bedding?

I certainly sounds like you have nothing to lose by being aggressive with massaging the area. It's possible that it could be an abcess of some sort due to bacteria inside the egg. Best of luck...I'm thinking of you and wishing you and the chick the very best.

Back
Top Bottom