1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

3 day old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leeannwalker, Oct 5, 2015.

1. leeannwalker

leeannwalker Out Of The Brooder

Hi all,

We gave our broody sizzle 3, 3 day old chicks last night. While all seems to be well I am concerned that it is lunchtime the next day and as far as I know they haven't eaten or had a drink.

I put food and water in the enclosure and Mum is appreciating it, but babies are still tucked under her wing. They had plenty to eat and drink yesterday before going to their new Mum, but it is VERY hot today.

Will they be ok? I really don't know what to do.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Runs With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    The mom should feed them a bit and show them where to eat, if they ate yesterday than they should be looking for the food soon, chicks don't need to eat for the first couple of days after hatch because they absorb the yolk just before hatching, so they will just be starting to develop an appetite.

3. leeannwalker

Thank you,

I will try to stop stressing and running to the chicken coop every 5 minutes and leave it up to Mum.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Funny, I've been guilty of such things too. I never had a chick starve, they will find the food. I always feel better with a mom taking care of them.

5. leeannwalker

I just put another post up, she is pecking them whenever they come out from under her, enough to make them squeak. Is that because I am there, or hasn't she really accepted them?

6. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Well that's a problem, she sounds like she's not going to take them, most chickens know they didn't hatch them, some want to be a mommy so bad they will take anything, you will probably have to take them and brood them, though I might first try taking them and putting them a little bit away from her and see first if she becomes worried about them, more than likely you are the new momma now.

7. song of joy

song of joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    I agree. Some broodies have major problems transitioning from incubation to tending chicks. I had a broody that pecked the foster chicks I tried to introduce to her. She viewed them as intruders and by morning had injured two so badly they had to be put down. (I felt absolutely terrible!) Keep a close eye on her to see if she's being aggressive or protective. Some new moms seem to panic when people come near, and peck the chicks to try to get them to go underneath them. If you can, observe from a distance that doesn't disturb the hen.

8. leeannwalker

Happy days!! I think she was just pecking at them to get them under her, and I was seen as a threat, or just a downright nuisance. All are well and happy this morning.

I am still concerned that they might not have eaten or had a drink. I know when a hen hatches her own eggs they don't need to eat for a couple of days, but these ones do,, they are 4 days old now. She is so protective she won't let them out from under her wing.

There is food and water close by, so I will have to trust the mama I suppose.

9. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Good to hear.

10. leeannwalker

Thank you for your help, much appreciated

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by