3 days have gone by, 3 cockerels found dead. What's happening!?

Our coop is barley big enough for 8, and we have 12, so lock down is miserable for them.
It could be our neighbor's dog. Can a golden retriever jump a 4 foot fence? I have seen the hawk once on the ground, claiming a silkie kill. that's why I think it was a raptor of some sort. Our decoy is moved around every 3-4 days, but the hawk was not fooled. Also, it is completely ironic that the three deaths were our only roosters? Our first death in the winter was our silkie roo as well. Do hawks prefer roosters over hens?
Roosters tend to go after threats rather than retreat

I also smell raccoon on this one. Opossum also possible. Use one of dead birds as bait, otherwise another bird will be targeted.

Raccoons are pretty common in our area, (but the only place I see them is on the side of the road). Also, there was a possum in our backyard that seemed to live there. I haven't seen him in a few months. I still think it's a hawk.

They can... but this doesn't sound like the handy work of a dog. Hawks are very patient and good ambush predators. I think they those that straggle behind or apart and their are safety in numbers.. but that's just a theory. Could be they were the ones who didn't run. Agreed a raptor is a very likely suspect.

The good news is... as you suspected.. it is NOT your flock doing this. Post a pic of your coop and we can help you come up with some run ideas... I used pvc pipes in the shape of a triangle cave covered by wire (even chicken wire for DAY time raptors) that is held on by zip ties... there are better ways, this is just a quick example of how to keep it easy.

Dog is pretty well trained-never seen it out of the yard.

Coop (sorry, it rained)-Also, we did set up a net, but the hawk must of got in through the side. It's not 100% done yet. (the pics are SO bad, I have no phone so I have to use my Chromebook...)

Attachments

• webcam-toy-photo30.jpg
    webcam-toy-photo30.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 11
  • webcam-toy-photo29.jpg
    webcam-toy-photo29.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 11
  • webcam-toy-photo28.jpg
    webcam-toy-photo28.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 11
I'm so sorry you are going through this. I agree with it being a predator, either Hawk or Raccoon. Coons will eat the heads off and leave the bodies. I think you are on track netting out your run. We have a very heavy raptor population where we live. They are so brazen that they will sit in a tree 50 feet from my pens and watch the birds, knowing that they can't get to them but hoping for the right moment or opportunity.

Only suggestions I can offer is to also put out a game camera and watch for predator action. A raccoon or fox will come back to easy pickins, so will a hawk. If you are dealing with a hawk remember, you cannot kill a raptor, even if it is a nuisance bird.

If you are dealing with a raccoon or possum, I suggest you get a live trap, bait it out with a can of cat food that you have secured to the trap and put a few openings in it with a can opener, or my favorite bait, big marshmallows with a container of water sitting next to the bait. Raccoons will go after the marshmallows like chickens go after styrofoam and possums will go after cat food with the same enthusiasm.

You can also consider putting up a hot wire around your coop and run about 5 inches above the ground. I have one and trust me, they work even if the threat is a family dog. One touch of the hot wire and they are cured.

Where we live, any predator animal that preys on livestock is considered to be a nuisance animal and we are permitted to dispose of it...with the exception of raptors of course.

If you find it is a raptor, contact your local conservation department for help. Here in MO they are really eager to help.

Good luck. You are doing all you can.

PS, I just thought of this. Raptors will usually go straight for the breast meat, rip it out and leave the rest. May be a mammal predator you are dealing with although maybe somebody has heard of different behavior in raptors.

PS, I just thought of this. Raptors will usually go straight for the breast meat, rip it out and leave the rest. May be a mammal predator you are dealing with although maybe somebody has heard of different behavior in raptors.

that's exactly what happened during the winter

these three cockerels were not however. It may actually be a raccoon of some sort. we found holes in our fence, and a friend of mine who lives in our subdivision and had a raccoon problem.

Last edited:
It could have been the males or a predator. If you have a game camera, I would suggest you put it up because once a kill is made the predator will be back.

Back
Top Bottom